Disc Sander Frustration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

So I have spent the last two hours changing the the sanding disc on my 12 inch disc sander. I absolutely hate this chore. It takes forever with chemicals I'd rather not use. This though is the last time. I ordered a hook and loop conversion kit for it. I don't care one iota about them being a little cushy. I never dealing with that $?&@@$ adhesive again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Agree about heat gun. Use it all the time on mine and no problem. I rarely change pads though. I use the large erasers and they clean well.

KenB259

Agree about heat gun. Use it all the time on mine and no problem. I rarely change pads though. I use the large erasers and they clean well.
I use the erasers too but I usually change the disc a couple times a year. I have tried heat in the past and I didn't have much success. I can always go back to stick on if I'm really unhappy with hook and loop. Time will tell.

WriteON

So I have spent the last two hours changing the the sanding disc on my 12 inch disc sander. I absolutely hate this chore. It takes forever with chemicals I'd rather not use. This though is the last time. I ordered a hook and loop conversion kit for it. I don't care one iota about them being a little cushy. I never dealing with that $?&@@$ adhesive again.
I'll give you my impressions when I'm done. I just started removing the Velcro this am. I'm not sold on anything at this point. If hook and loop works well for squaring touch ups I'm going back to that route. Good luck. Heads it's a PITA… tails it's a PITA

KenB259

I'll give you my impressions when I'm done. I just started removing the Velcro this am. I'm not sold on anything at this point. If hook and loop works well for squaring touch ups I'm going back to that route. Good luck. Heads it's a PITA… tails it's a PITA
I don't square blanks on it at all so I think it will be fine for what I use it for, mainly shaping.

penicillin

What works for me is a heat gun to get it off, followed by a solvent (paint thinner, mineral spirits, or acetone) on a paper towel to wipe off the residual glue. I wear a disposable nitrile glove on the hand that touches the paper towel with solvent.

I tried Goo Gone and it works, but is much slower than the solvents mentioned above. Goo Gone is based on orange oil and has other solvents in it. We keep it as a "sticker adhesive cleaner" in the laundry room with other household cleaners.

David350

I use my old Shopsmith 12" disc sander with their hook & loop to square blanks with Rick's jig and have never had anything but great results...

KenB259

I use my old Shopsmith 12" disc sander with their hook & loop to square blanks with Rick's jig and have never had anything but great results...
Good to know. I used to use the PSI lathe squaring jig that came with hook and loop abranet and that worked fine too.

Minicoopernut

I use my two disk sanders often. I use the spray contact glue on the disk and paper. I also apply a "spritz" of WD40 to reduce the adhesion of the glue. With a little experimentation you will be able to make the paper hold yet easily peel off. Sometimes I end up with enough glue on the disk where I don't need to reapply any on the disk or apply any the fresh paper. If you end up with paper really stuck to the disk, soak the paper with WD40. I've had a can of spray adhesive and WD by my sanders for years!! Both of my disks are slightly tapered so hook and loop attachment isn't an option.

WriteON

Maybe I should have tried the hook/loop before trying to covert. Possible remorse here. Trying to remove the adhesive from the metal disc is nuts. I tried a small dab of mineral spirits and it stinks. Immediate headache … and that's with the garage door open. If ever again … outdoors with a respirator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 89

jttheclockman

Wow I can not believe the horror with stick on adhesive paper. Frank what you did wrong. The adhesive stayed on the platen but came off the paper. That is why the mess. You need to try to take both off at the same time and that requires some heat and work slowly it will peel off. If the paper stays on adhesive you then have something stronger to pull on. You get under the adhesive in a corner just heat or add some acetone as you pull. again try to keep adhesive and pad together when doing this.

Just a few tips for you sander people. If you are pulling the paper off and it keeps falling back and sticking on the platen, just use some baby powder to sprinkle in back as you peel It will prevent from sticking again. That is an old woodworkers trick. Next is when you get the platen cleaned make sure you clean it with acetone. That is what I found the best to clean glue such as that and epoxy glues. Let dry before you put next sheet on. You all would be complaining if the pad kept coming unglued while sanding so look on the bright side.

Next tip and this one is important. Do not overbuy sanding belts or adhesive backed pads. The glue drys out and the belts will break at the seam and the pads will delaminate at the adhesive as you see. The longer that adhesive weather it is tape or stick on glue is stuck to one place the harder it is to come off. Thus when painting rooms and taping off woodwork and things remove as soon as possible.

One other tip is use good quality paper.

Now I never tried this but maybe worth a try. Use a very light coat of wax on the platen before adding the pad. If you do try let us all know how it works out.

Top Bottom