Disassemble a Woodcraft Liberty Bell Pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi Folks, I guess as you go, mistakes make us smarter. I finished this pen and after assemble realized I should have used a collar to press the center band in. Instead I ended up pushing the threaded section of that part towards the tip of the pen, so when the pen is closed, the refill tip projects just beyond the tip of the pen. This is a gift for a friend and I'd hate to present the pen to him with this as is. Is there a way to disassemble that area of the pen so I can push the threaded section back where it belongs? Thanks
F1E98877-1A22-4A1D-9CFC-94C736D26F8F.jpeg
C2AA8126-133B-4BE6-9533-71CE1CF21962.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I hate disassembly, Always seem to scratch or booger something up.
Although I'm not familiar with this pen, I did a little looking and I think it uses a Parker style refill on a twist mechanism. I don't do this for pens that I sell, but you might want to try sanding away a little bit off the top of the refill with some 220. Just enough to shorten the refill so it doesn't project too far. Another thing to try is to get some O rings (#4 or #5). Use one as a "spacer" when you assemble. Might be visible but on an antique brass kit it might not be too bad.
Good luck.

magpens

I've made a large number and wide variety of kit pens

Have not made one of the Liberty Bell kits, but I have just studied the instructions on the Woodcraft site.

Is it possible that the lower barrel is a little too short ?

I don't see that pushing on the threaded part of the center band could result in the problem because the center band looks quite robust.
If it had "collapsed" when it was pressed in the threads would have been damaged and the twist mechanism would not thread in.

So I don't think that disassembly is going to achieve anything.

I agree with Ted's suggestion that you shorten the refill by sanding off the black plastic top end of the refill ....... just a little.

Last edited:

Chasboy1

I was thinking if sanding the refill, but it has a series of 'ramps' around the top that I thought interacted with the mechanism in the cap.
The other problem is that my friend has a motto: "whatever I break, Charlie fixes". If he put a standard refill in it, the problem will return.
The actual fault was that I pushed in the threaded section like Magpens mentioned.
Using rubber grips I was able to free the parts, so I will be able to straighten it all out.

magpens

@Chasboy1

The "ramps" at the top end of the refill do not have any function in this application, as far as I can tell. . But your sanding will barely touch them anyway because you don't need to sand off very much ....... so I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard.

"If he put a standard refill in it, the problem will return." ....... and Charlie would fix it !! ... LOL !! šŸ˜ šŸ˜ ....... and be happy to do so !!!

However, none of this is relevant any more because it sounds like you are on the road to fixing things.

But please let us know the outcome.

P.S. ... BTW ... what camera did you use to take the pics ? . Is it a cell phone camera ? . I am amazed at the clarity for such high magnification.

Last edited:

Chasboy1

I Checked out the thread and it's definitely metric. The prices of the taps and dies seemed very high!
I ended up making a new piece for the lower barrel, and adjusted the area I pushed in too far, so all is good now.
Thank you all!

Very smart on your part. I'm glad it all came together. I've got a similar situation coming on a pen I made for a customer. This is good to know upfront and I'll see what I can apply to my situation.

Top Bottom