Disappointment with PennState Service

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

So I am really not the type to complain but this interaction just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Added the below items for context.
1 - Anvil EDC Aluminum
10 - Textured Boxes
1 - Anvil Bushings
1 - Anvil Stainless
1 - Bandsaw Sled

Total price $101.86 (after the $3.89 savings for the pen kits selected and shipping)

I couldn't find a place to input the coupon, which I later found out is a tiny link on the shipping page. I continued through the checkout journey thinking it may be at the very end. Until it just submitted the order and I was done. So I immediately hit up the "Chat" feature to find a solution to the issue, but had a really hard time getting the rep to understand my situation over chat. I was told I couldn't use the pen kit discount of a whopping $3.89 with the 20% coupon I had. So I decided to try and cancel the order then reorder without the penkits since I really didn't need them. I was just going to try them for fun. The rep seemed more focused on just giving me answers but not to what my actual question was. Ultimately I was told I'd have to call to cancel, so I did. Sat on hold for 8+ minutes just to have the rep tell me that I couldn't do anything about it either. All of this happened in less than 25 minutes from placing the order.

I usually order from Exotic because their shipping tends to be a day or two faster to me in AZ. But I decided to order from PennState because of the sled and the coupon I had. But this experience was so poor I will be contemplating future orders.

This isn't intended as a PennState bashing, just expressing my experience. I've had many of transactions in the past go well also.

That is the end of my rant.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

It's not actually clear what your problem was. It sounds like maybe you had a coupon code and couldn't find where to input it during the ordering process? If that's all it was I'm surprised they couldn't help during your chat or phone call. According to the website, the 15% pen kit discount is "automatically added during checkout."

I remember trying to use their 10% discount for new customers a while ago and could never use it because there wasn't anywhere to apply the discount during the checkout process. Maybe just sloppy web design or maybe purposeful deceit but it is indeed irritating.

Chippa

not to put fuel on the fire but I've also decided to go with exotic or Berea after a bunch of bad shipments on their end. no help or coverage of stuff I paid for that didn't arrive or shipping costs that I paid extra for they didn't fulfill.

funny enough I just got a 20% off coupon from them with a "we miss you"

that email got deleted pretty quick.

DrD

I stopped dealing with PSI long ago. Found them to be generally arrogant. When I opened an office in Ohio, I made frequent trips to Berea Hardwoods. Became friends with Jim and Larry - Larry is long since gone from Berea. By the time I closed the Ohio office I had accumulated literally hundreds of BHW kits, blanks , etc. Time passes, Larry left BHW, Jim started looking towards easing back, and I found that doing long distance business was not like it used to be. Joined this site, learned of Beartooth Woods, Turners Warehouse and Exotic Blanks, now it's just deciding if I like a turning blank, Motts Fruit Flavored Snacks or M&Ms better. Seriously, if it is a Dayacom kit I'll go with Exotic Blanks, a Beaufort kit, I'll go with Turners Warehouse, AA blanks, that'll be Beartooth, and general supplies Craft Supplies USA - ALL have EXCELLENT customer service!

bsshog40

I've never had a problem with psi myself. Anytime I've been offered a discount, it was always deducted automatically at checkout.

jttheclockman

Everyone has their own experience good or bad but will never change people from purchasing from their own choices and there are plenty of them.

Roly

If I could find postage as cheap or cheaper I would probably shop around however PSI seems to be the cheapest in international postage at the moment. Not the only factor but an important one. I have only had limited dealing with overseas firms but last time I was looking for variety not available to me here.

Thomas1083

I had a similar experience. I put approximately $120 in my cart but had no place to add my 20% off "we miss you" coupon so I didn't place the order. I used the PSI chat feature to find out where to put the coupon code and was told to call customer service. Turns out that they were running another promotion which disabled the ability to apply any coupons. I place the order over the telephone and Carla applied my 20% off coupon to the order. I have used the chat feature often and when told to call, I call immediately and get the call picked up in just a couple rings.

I have done a lot of business with the Big Gorilla. Very few problems and they were always taken care of immediately with a phone call. Lately I've been using Exotic Blanks to give more sales to smaller businesses. Just my .02!

FGarbrecht

I had a similar experience. I put approximately $120 in my cart but had no place to add my 20% off "we miss you" coupon so I didn't place the order. I used the PSI chat feature to find out where to put the coupon code and was told to call customer service. Turns out that they were running another promotion which disabled the ability to apply any coupons. I place the order over the telephone and Carla applied my 20% off coupon to the order. I have used the chat feature often and when told to call, I call immediately and get the call picked up in just a couple rings.
If they make it that hard to use a coupon, I'll take my business elsewhere (and I have).

WriteON

PSI is not the only show in town but I love em. Sometimes the first time we deal with companies, coupons, codes...it's a learning experience. Get the hang of a companies website and the agg disappears.

MTViper

I'm fortunate that I have never had a problem like that with PSI. I do order from Exotic Blanks, Beartooth, and Berea as well and have had excellent service from all.

I had an interesting experience last week. PSI advertised a `15% discount on most of their pen kits. I needed to stock up on a few I'd run out of so I placed an order. On my previous order I'd gotten a 10% Club discount for belonging to a turning club in Ft Worth. It just showed up automatically after I completed my order. I didn't expect to get that discount on this order since I was getting the 15% discount. When my order totaled up, there was the 10% club discount and the 15% advertised discount. I was a happy camper.

Hope your next experience is better if you try them again.

Steve

Top Bottom