Disappointing occurance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

One of my wife's photo blog friends up in CO trimmed a limb off her Lilac tree... the limb was about 4.5 inches x about 6 ft long... she was kind enough to offer it to me. I deleted her email with a picture of the limb before copying it to my wood picture file. She cut it and sent me 3 boxes of wood... a couple pieces are too small for PM's but I can cut for pen blanks...

Here is a mill I wanted to make as a thank you for the wood... it turned out nice, but I was too anxious to turn the wood and didn't allow it to dry enough... I roughed the bark off and then put it in DNA for about 3 days, but only allowed it to dry for a couple... after I drilled it, I tried the microwave for about 4 cycles, but since I don't have a MM, I used the old "feels dry to me" method, but evidently it wasn't ... my pepper mill is cracking all around the body.. very disappointing.. the wood is gorgeous.

There's no finish on the pepper mill yet.

I uploaded a couple of pictures to show the roughed limb just before I put it in the DNA....

Attachments

• lilac.JPG
    lilac.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 251
  • lilac2.JPG
    lilac2.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 201
  • lilac3.JPG
    lilac3.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Lilac-1.JPG
    Lilac-1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Lilac-2.JPG
    Lilac-2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

You might try letting it dry more thoroughly and then if there are cracks in it, you can fill them with some kind of filler material and CA glue. I once turned a Claro Walnut Grinder set that had multiple voids in them. I filled the voids with brass key shavings from Home Depot and Thin CA glue. They came out GREAT once finished!!

Phunky_2003

You might try letting it dry more thoroughly and then if there are cracks in it, you can fill them with some kind of filler material and CA glue. I once turned a Claro Walnut Grinder set that had multiple voids in them. I filled the voids with brass key shavings from Home Depot and Thin CA glue. They came out GREAT once finished!!

I couldn't agree more with what Bob says. Let it dry more and fill it with something. Call it "artistic embellishments".

James

islandturner

One of my wife's photo blog friends up in CO trimmed a limb off her Lilac tree... the limb was about 4.5 inches x about 6 ft long...

Years of trying diffenent techniques for fast-drying have been dissappointing -- they often don't work. I wonder if 'boiling' might work with this wood? You still have to wait for natural drying, but it's faster, and it might eliminate the checking? How about Pentacryl -- still takes time, but I find it improves the odds with some woods that are prone to checking...

Who'd of known that lilac looks that nice. The 2 photos on the right have a 'Harry Potter' look to them.

The lilac bushes in our neighborhood are suddenly in peril of a midnight raid. :)

mrcook4570

It is most likely too late for this piece, but in the future, AS SOON AS a crack starts to develop, wet your finger and rub the water into the crack and the surrounding wood. Add a little more water as necessary. This will frequently seal the crack.

PenMan1

Those AREN'T CRACKS! Those are "insert powdered stone here" indicators. Now, man up and put the rock to it and make it beautiful:)

W.Y.

Beautiful piece of wood and too bad it cracked but I am not surprised with the way you treated it with DNA . You didn't leave it near long enough after taking it out of the DNA and it should have been wrapped in brown paper with an opening for limited air .
On top of that the DNA might never have worked on a solid piece like that. I have turned over a hundred bowls using DNA but the secret is to have them turned very evenly thickness from top to bottom, and wrapped in brown paper bag paper with a hole in the top and they are dry and ready to final turn in a couple weeks. I have 95% sucess with it on bowls but draw the line on it being only suited to bowls . I have tried it on various other forms of green wood turnings with no luck .
Boiling was suggested to me on my own site and although I had heard of it often, I had never tried it, So just ten days ago I rough turned two almost identical bowls out of the same log . I boiled one and did my usual 24 hour DNA treatment on the other . I have been reporting back in that topic every couple days with pictures with a comparison on the results of the two methods both in weight by weighing each one as well as moisture content every time . Both should be ready for final turning in another week or so as soon as there is no more weight loss for three or four consecutive days . It was the most honest way I could think of for making a direct comparison. Except for one drawback (mold) in particular in the boiled one , they are running almost neck in neck for weight loss and moisture loss. .
Both intentionally have a knot of the same size in the same place because that is where troubles will usually start . They are also both orchard cherry wood and most orchard woods are the most prone to warping, cracking, splitting than any other kinds of wood.

I feel for you with your beautiful cracked lilac wood because I have been there, done that several times with various types of wood before I found out that DNA was most suited to rough turned hollow bowls and not for solid pieces of wood. ..
Whether or not boiling would help on solid pieces of wood or not I have no idea because I have not tried it.

Good luck with your project and will be looking for pictures of the finished pieces.

Thanks all for your sympathy.... I'm letting the rest of the wood sit in the boxes they came in..I've painted the ends with anchorseal and we'll see how they work...

On the DNA, I think if I had drilled the blank for the mechanism and then soaked the wood, it may have salvaged the cracks... the DNA could have reached the interior of the wood.

Top Bottom