dining table?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ahoiberg

ahoiberg

has anyone out there made their own dining table? the wife and i just bought a house (finally get to set the shop back up!) and we're excited about the idea of building a nice dining table. i was curious if anyone had pics of one they may have done or any tips on what kind of support and joinery to use... since we're limited on budget, i was thinking a rustic pine one would look nice?

also got an idea to purchase some pre-turned legs (anyone every used those?) as my lathe would only make a table that was a little over a foot tall... [:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Done this, was a lot of work. This is where you find wood is still alive. It moves seasonally and if you don't allow for expansion, it cracks, sometimes quite noisily!

A trestle table is the easiest. For your top, alternate the growth rings from one board to the next. This will help eliminate cupping and warping. The trestle is the support legs joined by a stretcher. This is where you can make it a knock-down by joining with wood dowels.

Take a look at tables in furniture stores and you'll see the various parts working together.

Built a picnic table for my friend when he got married. They wanted benchs and a rustic table. They still use it, 4 kids later...

GaryMGg

Andrew,

I've made several tables although not a dining table.
Some questions you need to think about: What shape & style do you like?
That affects what you'll build. All the tables I've built so far have been either
shaker or mission style with rectangular shapes. All the tops I've built have been separate from the table and affixed with shop-made buttons. The joinery I've used for all the tables has been mortise and tenon aprons and legs, usually with tapered legs.
I built a vanity for my MIL that has turned legs but the joinery is still mortise and tenon.
Lots of places offer pre-turned legs and run ads in most of the woodworking mags.
I wouldn't hurt to visit your local library to see what's out there and figure out what you like. Surely you can meet someone in your area who would help you with some of the work.

John, I'm going to disagree with the advice to alternate growth rings.
I believe, as do many of the nations finest custom furniture builders [of which I am not one] that it's more important to select the best looking matching figure if that choice is between alternating growth rings and `the look'. A well built table won't washboard in today's environmentally stable homes.

jwoodwright

Gary, I'm old school.
So I went researching, found numerous articles, they all were done the way I was taught...

I guess this is like the History Professor said "His Story"...
Then again, I watch Norm and have watched Norm Since he first showed up on This Old House and he put up with a young, pushy Bob Villa... Anytime Norm makes any panel, he arranges grain and flips every other board to get a flat even panel. No matter if he's using breadboard ends.

Here's just one I "borrowed"...

Assembling the Top
The table top will be assembled from several individual pieces of wood and glued together edge to edge. The three pieces will be longer and wider than the dimensions indicated in the plans. The top will then be cut to exact specifications. Be certain that the edges are properly jointed with no space between the boards. If done correctly, the glue lines will be hard to notice.
Arrange the top boards so that the grain is pleasing to you, then mark them according to their location. The videotape shows you how to alternate the annular rings on each piece of board. This arrangement allows for any cupping or warping and ensures the tabletop will remain flat.
Joint the edges if needed. Use either a stationary or hand jointer, both use a cutter that planes the edges smooth and square, Note: If you don't have a jointer, a table saw is the next best thing for smoothing rough edges. A hand jointer plane does a good job, but requires a greater degree of skill. Whichever method of jointing you use:
Check your edges for squareness before you start gluing.
Smooth out any roughness with sandpaper to your satisfaction.
Glue pieces together with yellow carpenters glue. This glue is usually stronger than the wood itself. Place glue on the piece evenly and on both sides. Once you have begun gluing, spread it evenly across the joint and don't stop until you are finished. Avoid getting glue on the surface of the table.
Put waxed paper on the top and bottom of the table to make sure the clamps are not glued to your tabletop.
Apply clamps for pressure to make the tabletop as flat as possible. Look for a slight squeeze out of glue which indicates adequate pressure.

ahoiberg

thanks for the replies.

i hear ya steve, it's to cold to get anything properly glued up in my neck of the woods too...

GaryMGg

John,

I know that's how it's traditionally been done and it's still the best method for maintaining a relatively flat surface for outdoor furniture.
However, alternating growth rings can lead to a washboard effect; if the boards cup they'll move in opposite directions -- the average may be flat but it's hills and valleys.

Most of the newer literature for conditioned environments selects the best grain match regardless of growth ring orientation.

This is how one location explains it: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/GluePanel.html

As this table will be indoors, I'd personally build it with the visible grain pattern of primary concern. Neither of you nor I are wrong; there is more than one correct answer here.

Hello, I have made many poker tables as its another of my side biz. I make pedestal bases for some of them, but have used a company called "Adams wood products" below. They have good quality, but for true stain grade bases and legs(for the peds. this is) you need to make them yourself(in my opinion). To attach the table skirt I use pocket hole screws they are great. Many ways to skin a cat , and you might find a new one,LOL. Joints are more the type of table you want a 10 or 100 year model, and your equipment you have in your shop.
hope this helps
http://www.adamswoodproducts.com/ Victor

Top Bottom