Digital cameras...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

I have a point-n-shoot digital camera, the latest in a line. My only SLR is a Minolta SRT-101 (and for nerd points, I actually have the shutter release sound as the shutter sound on my digital), it takes FAR to long to shoot real film photos of pens... :rolleyes:

I've been shooting with the Panasonic p-n-s (not p-o-s) but I find I have trouble getting a good, sharp, close-up. I'm curious, do folks use point-n-shoots often, or are the DSLRs the way to go? I'm unlikely to do the DSLR route for a long time (pens first, then about 27 other hobbies, then DSLR), but I'm not quite pleased with the results I have from shooting.

Thanks,

daniel

P.S. Wasn't intended to get into a huge discussion, I've read through the library and some posts, I just don't have a good feel for the point-n-shoot versus the DSLR thing....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I have a point-n-shoot digital camera, the latest in a line. My only SLR is a Minolta SRT-101 (and for nerd points, I actually have the shutter release sound as the shutter sound on my digital), it takes FAR to long to shoot real film photos of pens... :rolleyes:

Hey, I've still got my 101 and 201. Still got the 1:1.4 lens that came with it,
too. That's a good camera, and it can double as a weapon if someone tries
to take it from you. I won't give up mine.

robert3

Hi
I ran into the same problem when i started taking pics of my pens and couldn't figure out why all the pics looked good on the screen on my camera but blurry/out of focus on the computer.I went to a camera shop and asked if i'm doing something wrong taking the pictures.He asked me what camera i had and so on. Finally he explaind to me that if i wanted to take a close up pic of an object, i need a Macro feature on my camera.So i bought a point and shoot with macro and all my problems where solved.So no matter what kind of digital camera i buy now, it has to have the Macro.

Robert

gerryr

Try reading this, it has some useful information in it.

I use a DSLR because I also enjoy photography as a hobby, but a DSLR is absolutely not needed to get good pen photos. Anyone who claims otherwise just doesn't have a very good grasp of photography.

gomeral

Hey, I've still got my 101 and 201. Still got the 1:1.4 lens that came with it, too. That's a good camera, and it can double as a weapon if someone tries to take it from you. I won't give up mine.

True, it does make a good weapon! And I won't give up mine, either - as old school as it is, there's something about the ring-and-needle light meter and the quality of the prints that just looks nice. My father still has his 201, I'm trying to talk him out of it... :rolleyes:

daniel

gomeral

Try reading this, it has some useful information in it.

I am not sure, I'm sometimes slow on the uptake, but I think you forgot a link...? :redface:

As for the practice of pen photography, I'm actively looking for a good but reasonably priced light tent; I have a tripod and I have some lights, I just want to find a good kit. I'll let folks know what I've found, in case there is interest.

daniel

marcruby

I believe there are some very good pns cameras out there with sharp close-up abilities. Canon makes several. I would advise staying away from DSLR's unless you like photography and fussing with equipment (I do) or are wealthy.

Marc

Neal Addy

I highly recommend the light tent shown on this page:

http://www.nealaddy.org/node/23

There's a link to the supplier at the bottom. It's affordable, collapsible, and sized well for various types of product photography. It might seem a lot for pens but you'll love it if or when you try to shoot bowls and larger objects.

I agree with staying away from DSLR's unless you have money to burn. There are some excellent DSLR-like cameras out there for not that much money.

Photography can be a very slippery slope! You'll find me at the bottom of that slope... sobbing. :biggrin:

gomeral

Neal, thanks for the info. I read through a lot of the tutorial last night and found it quite interesting. I'll check out the link tomorrow.

Wayne, if you were asking me, yes - I have a mini tripod I use, although I'm considering getting another one so I can get a higher perspective.

Rob, I looked at the local Wally World and had no luck - I may try another, but I haven't had much luck finding several things there, lately...

daniel

Top Bottom