Difference Between Jr George RB kit & Jr Gent (II) RB kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I am new to the Dayacom line of pen kits. As I look at all the different kits in the Jr line, I can see differences in center bands, top finials, etc. However, other than price, with the Jr Gent being somewhat less costly, I cannot identify what differences may exist between the Jr Gent and the Jr George. Can someone help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

As you probably already know, under "Resources", there are lists of data for bushings and tubes (B & T) for the kits carried by various vendors.

I looked in the list for ExoticBlanks because I have a recollection that they carry, or have carried, both of the kits you refer to.

There is only one minor difference, and that is in the lower barrel tube length: 2.09" for the Jr Gent and 2.17" for the Jr George.

Hope this helps. . For me, this difference alone would not affect my choice of kit because I think it is probably insignificant.

Reactions: DrD

greenacres2

Clip and post are a little different. I think the Jr George clip really lends itself well to the antique silver and brass platings, while the Jr Gent (in my eye) clip is a bit modern for that (and...i don't think that it is normally found in those platings anyway). There are some other subtle differences in the hardware castings as well. I interchange the tubes on a regular basis with no ill effects, despint the 0.08" difference noted by Mal.
earl

DrD

Thanks! Yes I did check that out. The Citizen is also a different length - not significant. A couple of them have straight barrels rather than tapered. I believe most - all - of the Jr series utilize the 12.5 mm &10.5 mm drill bits, etc, etc. As it turns out some are fancier/more gaudy in embellishments than others. The Jr Milton has cross-hatching on finials & center band. But when you look at a Jr George & a current Jr Gent they look identical in pictures - I currently have neither. The Jr George comes in more different finishes, and can be had in fountain pen, etc. But - when it comes to Chrome finish roller ball, the Jr George is a few dollars more. I wonder why? Might be overthinking this thing, but if I'm going to buy maybe 50 of the kits, that difference translates to real cash - for me at least. Again, Thanks

DrD

Clip and post are a little different. I think the Jr George clip really lends itself well to the antique silver and brass platings, while the Jr Gent (in my eye) clip is a bit modern for that (and...i don't think that it is normally found in those platings anyway). There are some other subtle differences in the hardware castings as well. I interchange the tubes on a regular basis with no ill effects, despint the 0.08" difference noted by Mal.
earl
Thanks Earl! Do you like those kits? Up until now I have been in the Berea Hardwoods camp, but due to a variety of reasons, I'm now looking elsewhere.

magpens

As far as kit cost goes, don't forget that the Jr Gent has been around for aeons so the original payback period for the design is well over.

The Jr George is still quite a new kit and "they" are still in the process of recouping "their" initial costs ..... just my opinion; I really am clueless about the marketing of pen kits.

Like you, DrD, I have long favored the Berea Hardwoods offerings above most others, but that has changed over the last 3 or 4 yrs as high quality kits from Dayacom and other sources have become better known and available. . Also, Berea has lagged and somewhat disappointed in their newer product development/offerings.

DrD

As far as kit cost goes, don't forget that the Jr Gent has been around for aeons so the original payback period for the design is well over.

The Jr George is still quite a new kit and "they" are still in the process of recouping "their" initial costs ..... just my opinion; I really am clueless about the marketing of pen kits.

Like you, DrD, I have long favored the Berea Hardwoods offerings above most others, but that has changed over the last 3 or 4 yrs as high quality kits from Dayacom and other sources have become better known and available. . Also, Berea has lagged and somewhat disappointed in their newer product development/offerings.
SAD, but oh so true. When Jim and Larry were there, Jim running things and Larry running the shop and warehouse, customer service was KING. Now you literally have to beg to get any type of customer service from them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To quote above, "when it comes to Chrome finish roller ball, the Jr George is a few dollars more."

Forum rules do not allow me to link to the pages, but I hope I am allowed to say this is factually inaccurate. The Jr. George and Jr Gent II in chrome plating, rollerball are within a nickle of each other in every quantity discount level, on ExoticBlanks.com

DrD

Thanks for the clarification Ed. The price differences came from comparing prices from 2 separate vendors each of which sold only 1 of the 2 pens in question. As Earl noted above, the chief physical differences appears to be in the clip and the receiver - good enough for me. And with your pricing, I would have no reason to look elsewhere. Thanks

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We all know when you want the best pricing information, you need look no further than ExoticBlanks.com
Full disclosure, I have a vested interest in ExoticBlanks (in case you did not know that!!) ;) ;) ;)

(Now, is Jeff deletes this one, I do understand why, but I don't think it violates any rules)

greenacres2

Thanks Earl! Do you like those kits? Up until now I have been in the Berea Hardwoods camp, but due to a variety of reasons, I'm now looking elsewhere.

Only problems I've had with any Dayacom hardware had been my fault, same with Beaufort. Exotic is a great source for the Dayacom. I've got a good supply of Jr George antique bronze and a few Jr Gents, PM me if you want to do a side by side and we can do a swap of some sort.
Earl

Top Bottom