Die Holder Adapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnm

Question, the die that i am wanting to use on this pen is a 1-5/16 od (I think), I have the holder from the Little Machine SHop, but that is for only 1" od dies. Does anyone know if someone makes an adapter that'll allow me to use the bigger die?

cbatzi01

One thing to note on the link above is that the shank is not a MT#2 taper. It is a straight shank, so you you'll need to hold it in a chuck of some sort. FYI.

Good Luck!
Chris

PenPal

Larger die holder

Why not make one use a 2mt shank with a parralel running from that to a die holder cut from mild steel fitted with two locking grub screws, suitably hollowed for longer threads but easily adapted to accomodate your short threads. This in a 1 inch version is an exercise at TAFE Colleges here downunder. The exercise is aimed at producing an accurate no 2 morse taper to parralel shaft. The rest very straitforward. People with C and C capacity a walk in the park. Ask Johnny C and C for his advice, there could be quite a market for them. The unit for sale at 19 plus dollars could be easily adapted to a number 2 morse taper shaft fitted with a sleeve to accomodate the device with a slip fit to use in the Tail Stock of your lathe. When I modified the mandrel for my Pen Wizard I lengthened the 1/4 inch thread considerably either end accurately and easily using the one I had for many years. I cut the thread by hand movement on the die holder that is knurled on the outside, it cut easily,accurately and in full control moving the shaft in the no 2 morse taper every little while as the parrallel shaft allows some travel before take up. In this country bear in mind and I have no doubt in yours people are not able in commercial engineering shops to do this cheaply with labout costs as they stand today, try to arrange a quid quo pro equal swap with a pen. A man a total stranger to me beforehand made me a live centre using hard steel to my design by C and C and said all he wanted was one of my beautiful wood pens (his words I quote), since I make them from Slimline Kits for me it was confirmation to me of a favourite saying I have. THE POWER OF A PEN.

Have fun Peter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom