Didn't Mess Up my Burl This Time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - Well, unlike yesterday, I used a new set of bushings, checked them with a caliper, and took my time turning, so this piece of Golden Camphor Burl turned out with a much better fit on my PSI Gold Designer kit. Unlike yesterday's pen, this one is going to go in my "Keeper" box. This piece of Burl had one softer, very dark spot in it that I think was a knot or some kind of bark inclusion. The wood really had a, well, strong camphor smell when it was being worked, I haven't figured out whether I like it or if I think it stinks (the smell I mean)!

Regards,
Dave

Here is the pen:
IMG_1513 Cropped 800.jpg

Here are the three thumbnail views of the pen as it is rotated:
IMG_1515 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1516 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1517 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

Excellent. I have mad a good number of Designer pens but for some reason have been reluctant to put some of my best wood on them. Maybe because they are a less expensive kit, or because they have Cross refills. Anyhow, looking at yours is changing my thinking.

egnald

Excellent. I have mad a good number of Designer pens but for some reason have been reluctant to put some of my best wood on them. Maybe because they are a less expensive kit, or because they have Cross refills. Anyhow, looking at yours is changing my thinking.
I'm not a fan of the Cross style refills either, but I do like how the Euro style pen looks. Your post made me realize I could have used a Premium Designer kit from PSI, they have an 8mm tube and use Parker refills. - Dave

Larryreitz

I'm not a fan of the Cross style refills either, but I do like how the Euro style pen looks. Your post made me realize I could have used a Premium Designer kit from PSI, they have an 8mm tube and use Parker refills. - Dave
I remember looking at it, however, the only plating PSI has for the 8mm version is 24kt gold. Probably the least durable option.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love turning Camphor, but have read that some folks can be sensitized by the odor. I have not turned enough to say that is an issue with me.

Beautiful pen! đź‘Ť

studioseven

The designer is one of my favorite kits. Years ago, PSI used to sell a designer with a removable cap. I loved that kit but unfortunately they discontinued it. Nice job on yours. Its not the easiest to turn.

Seven

Top Bottom