Did Someone Say Emp..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

These two are my first attempts at making Emperor pens. They are big and heavy!! My biggest problem was deciding what blanks to use. Awhile back I saw some one used some of the simulation Ivory from CS, so I bought some, it’s really awesome to work with and one I think excel’s with this kit. I turned the second one with a stabilized amboyna burl, it really looked classic to me. I did learn that the cap body needs to be a straight body cut for the clip to sit well, oh well another feature..

I would love to find a solid black blank large enough for one of these, I saw one earlier like that but I do not have the courage to drill 37/64 in to a ¾ blank.

Critiques are always welcome.

2006227175316_IMG_4485.jpg

200622717542_IMG_4475.jpg

2006227175425_IMG_4466.jpg

2006227175543_IMG_4446.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nilsatcraft

Great looking pens, Jim. Amboyna is my favorite wood/material and I love the Alternative Ivory as well- both came out excellent. Nice work! If I had to vote for the nicer of the two, I'd go with the Alternative Ivory in this case. It has a such an classy look to it.

smoky10

Great looking pens Jim. I like the amboyna burl the best. Not long ago Ed Davidson(yoyospin) made some solid black blanks for me, they were 3/4" but I bet he can make them a little bigger.

thetalbott4

Jim- Fantastic. I really like the sim ivory. Stands out big time. Bet one of those PR casting guys can whip you up a mean black blank just about any size you like.

huntersilver

Jim,
great looking pen. What is the secret to using the Alt. Ivory,
I tried it once, about a year ago and found it very brittle and
it chipped away.

Again, very nice looking pen!!!

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Jim,
great looking pen. What is the secret to using the Alt. Ivory,
I tried it once, about a year ago and found it very brittle and
it chipped away.

Again, very nice looking pen!!!

Hi Hunter,

Thank You for your kind comments. I turn with a skew, I hone it often and I take light cuts...it cut well and polished very well.

I found that I honed the edge a bit more often than I normally do with acrylics, but then again this blank was 1" in diameter and I also kept thinking about keeping clean cuts![:)]

Jim those are wonderful pens. I like them both w/o any qualifications. Have you considered a black bowling ball blank or a black dyed wood?

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate your kind words. These are great kits and I have enjoyed watching others make them. For me selecting the "right" pen blank material was troublesome, but after seeing some of the same that I used I like these very much.

Again, I would love to try this pen on a solid no detailed o/s black...so if you have an idea please let me know...

[:)]

LanceD

Jim, I did my closed end Emperor using a 3/4" black acetate blank from AS. I didn't have any trouble drillng it as I always drill on the lathe. I drilled at 1100 rpm but took my time and cleaned the bit real often. I don't know if you've seen it but it's in my album. I've since done two more and will make a closed end with Alt. Ivory this week. Try it out, the worst you can do is ruin a 3.00 blank [:D]

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Jim, I did my closed end Emperor using a 3/4" black acetate blank from AS. I didn't have any trouble drillng it as I always drill on the lathe. I drilled at 1100 rpm but took my time and cleaned the bit real often. I don't know if you've seen it but it's in my album. I've since done two more and will make a closed end with Alt. Ivory this week. Try it out, the worst you can do is ruin a 3.00 blank [:D]

Hi Lance,

It was your pen that inspired me to want to do just that!! I do look at your pens I really like your work. I also have gone to horizontal drilling recently...duh, what took me so long to figure that out!![^]

I may well give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom