Did it again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I thought it was only ME that did that !!!! . . . Ha !!!

Good reason for every man to have 3 sons !!

howsitwork

It's not just you 🤣🤣

I have a large collection of precision G clamps ( micrometers ) just so I can find the right one quickly you understand …..

My collection of drill bits is also extensive but I am trying to get the. all into one cabinet so I don't go out and buy another box of the size I want each time when I get exasperated. SWMBO hasn't found that cabinet yet 😉

leehljp

Member Liaison
I need 6 tape measures in my tool box just to be able to find one. Guys at my last shop put flags on my coffee cup and water bottle so we could find them!
When I was re-flooring part of my shop 6 years ago, anything but orange, yellow or bright green or white - hid in the shadows. Red hides in shadows just as much as black, gray, medium or dark green and even blue, so Milwaukee is out. Dewalt is above an average tool company, but I had generally avoided them until then. Now I buy based on a combination of Quality AND Color, just so I can spot them easier. Really!

There is one caveat to color for me: Festool - the 2 Festools I have are so expensive that I know where they are ALL the time!

Since this is a pen forum, I will admit that I with pens I do the same as I do with my Festools. A generally good pen, I can set it down and loose it. But for my very high end items, I will drive 50+ miles to get it back if I absentmindedly leave it behind. Done that a few times!

Last edited:

penicillin

The woodworking club helped sell tools and wood for the widow of a long-time member who passed away. I overheard some surprised members who were shocked to find various parts and tools that were still new in the box. My first thought was, "I bet he couldn't find them and bought another."

Since this is a pen forum, I will admit that I with pens I do the same as I do with my Festools. A generally good pen, I can set it down and loose it. But for my very high end items, I will drive 50+ miles to get it back if I absentmindedly leave it behind. Done that a few times!
It wasn't necessarily high end, but I made myself a work pen from deer horn... loved that pen and evidently all the truckers that came through the dock office did too... seems like I spent half my time following truckers back to their trucks to ask for my pen back... they always apparently "forgot" to give it back when done signing bills of ladings.

I still have the pen and guard it carefully.

WriteON

When I was re-flooring part of my shop 6 years ago, anything but orange, yellow or bright green or white - hid in the shadows. Red hides in shadows just as much as black, gray, medium or dark green and even blue, so Milwaukee is out. Dewalt is above an average tool company, but I had generally avoided them until then. Now I buy based on a combination of Quality AND Color, just so I can spot them easier. Really!

There is one caveat to color for me: Festool - the 2 Festools I have are so expensive that I know where they are ALL the time!

Festool. Mine are chained to the ground. My Festool dust extractor is painted camo and hidden. It cannot be borrowed. It cannot be
touched. It is my Festool.. nobody can have it. I do not leave it visible with the garage door open. Plenty of workers in the vicinity.
Pens…. When I gift a pen I tell the person it is guaranteed against anything…. Damage,lose,theft.

The woodworking club helped sell tools and wood for the widow of a long-time member who passed away. I overheard some surprised members who were shocked to find various parts and tools that were still new in the box. My first thought was, "I bet he couldn't find them and bought another."
Since I am as cheap as I am, I'll spend half a day looking for a tool I KNOW I have... I've developed the habit of always putting the tool back in the same place as soon as I finish with it.... makes for a lot of walking back and forth in the shop, but keeps almost all my tools where I know where they are.... except the tape measure... it tends to be laid where ever I used it last... I only have one and too cheap to buy another...

actually didn't buy this one as it was from my mother in law when I re-did her floors in her house back in '94-95.... she was in a flood and the water came up to just beneath her floor, rotted the sills, some of the joists and most of her flooring... she bough the skil saw and tape measure for me to work with. When I pulled up her carpet, her lounge chair was only sitting on carpet, no floor underneath. Her big shepherd dog fell through the floor in her kitchen. Was a good trade, my labor for a new circular saw and 30' tape measure...

monophoto

Any real stories here?
This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Many years ago, a couple of electricians were injured while working on a piece of electrical equipment. They sued, claiming that the equipment was defective, while the manufacturer believed that the accident was due to carelessness.. Ultimately, when the matter came to trial, the issue was whether that equipment had been subjected to the routine factory tests specified in industry standards for that class of equipment.

Unfortunately, some time after the incident, the manufacturer moved that product line to another factory.. Because they knew that a lawsuit was pending, they put the records for that transaction in a 'safe place'. But at the time of the trial, no one remembered where that 'safe place' was, and because the manufacturer couldn't produce documentation of the necessary factory tests, they had to agree to a hefty settlement.

I have two Forstner bit shaft extensions because I put the first one in a 'safe place' but then couldn't find it when I needed it. As soon as I got the new one home, I found the first one on the rack along with the odd-size Forstner bits - right where it should be!

Last edited:

RGVPens

About this time two years ago, while living in MO, we were packing the 5th wheel to come down here ( the Rio Grande Valley of TX) for the winter. I put 2-3 pistols in the RV so we could go shooting while there, and scattered the others around the house and shop in "safe places" in case someone broke in. That next spring, a couple of weeks after arriving home, I went around retrieving my arsenal from "safe places". Doing a final count I found I was short 1 Kel-Tec 9mm! I looked all over...several times over the next few weeks...no Kel-Tec.

I finely decided 1. I didn't take that pistol with me. 2. I put it in a "safe place" in the house. 3. It should still be in said "safe place" and will turn up someday. Every once in a while I would think about it...and I did buy another 9mm automatic of a different brand.

About 3-3 1/2 months ago we decided to sell the house and move back to the RGV in TX. While packing to move...yup you guessed it...the elusive Kel-Tec 9mm was uncovered! Right there in the "safe place" where I had put it TWO YEARS EARLIER!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣
Now I have two 9mm automatics...LOL.

howsitwork

Frank

happy to help but the shipping to the UK might be a consideration 🤷‍♂️

Mind you theres no way SWMBO could accidentally stumble upon it I can promise you that.

WriteON

Since we're on the caper subject…. I bring a new pool cue home…. She asks Another? Don't you have enough? ….. I got tongue tied and said I bought it for you….. do now she thinks it's hers and nobody can use it. Careful my friends…. Watch the backfires.

A friend of mine used to buy several of my wood turnings... she bought a couple of bowls, put one in the closet for a couple of months, then when she put it out her husband asked where she got it... she said "Oh, I had this for a while"... next time I saw him he forbid me to sell her any more bowls.

WriteON

A friend of mine used to buy several of my wood turnings... she bought a couple of bowls, put one in the closet for a couple of months, then when she put it out her husband asked where she got it... she said "Oh, I had this for a while"... next time I saw him he forbid me to sell her any more bowls.
Next time gift it with a deferred payment. It's all how it's worded. That should hold up in court. A jury will sympathize with you.

Top Bottom