Did I finish last?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congrats Scott (I think..)

I wound up in a tie for 22 -- I suspect that means that I and 7 others each got 1 vote for voting for our own pen while Scott & 2 others voted objectively. My goal for next year is to get at least 2 votes.

This was a fun contest & I learned a lot too. In case anyone is interested, my entry was #9 - the slightly spalted pecan burl with a pink ivory center band. It was my first attempt at turning my own center band - the fit was pretty good, but not perfect and I didn't have time for a do-over. Still, it's a pretty nice pen & right now it's my favorite carry pen. There were just sooooo many really great pens.

I can see that I'm really going to have to upgrade my pen photography as well as my turning & finishing skills if I want to have a chance of doing any better in next year's contests. But that's why I'm here - to learn & have fun!

Edgar

Attachments

• Fat3.jpg
    Fat3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 142

BSea

Hey Edgar, that's a good idea to show your pen here. I was wondering who did what pen. I think all of us should show off our "Rest of the Best" pens.:rolleyes:

Here's mine. Mine wasn't originally going to be a contest pen, but the more I got into it, the more I liked it. Plus, it was the 1st pen I've done with a wooden nib. It's Black Ash Burl with Cocobolo nib, CB & finial.

sschering

Oh Good idea..

Here is last place..

My plan was close to what pen #14 pulled off so well..
My errors are to many to list but I know what I did wrong and will do better next year.

110536d1392955314-all-entry-pictures-21_1.jpg

I still haven't found that stupid gunmetal finial I dropped. I swiped one from a chrome kit to finish up and get it entered.

BSea

Oh Good idea..

Here is last place..

My plan was close to what pen #14 pulled off so well..
My errors are to many to list but I know what I did wrong and will do better next year.

I still haven't found that stupid gunmetal finial I dropped. I swiped one from a chrome kit to finish up and get it entered.
LOL! I wish I could find some of the parts that should be on my garage floor. I should have at least 2 or 3 kits worth. It's almost like losing socks in the dryer.:biggrin:

BTW, I really like your pen. And I'd have never noticed the chrome finial if you hadn't mentioned it.

SteveJ

Congrats Scott (I think..)

I wound up in a tie for 22 -- I suspect that means that I and 7 others each got 1 vote for voting for our own pen while Scott & 2 others voted objectively. My goal for next year is to get at least 2 votes.

Edgar

I'm with you there! I wasn't about to let myself get NO votes!

It would be interesting to me at least to see how the different styles ranked. Do we as a group favor one type of Slimline modification over the others? But perhaps we would have needed to self identify what we were trying to emulate. I went with a Longline, trying something I've not done before (and likely wont do again...)

Here is my submission.

Steve

Attachments

• Long Line Cocobolo 1.JPG
    Long Line Cocobolo 1.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 136

alankulwicki7

Here's my entry. It's spalted Maple with a African Blackwood centerband on a black chrome kit.

This was an adventure. I had planned on using a Creekline kit but was told it wasn't eligible. No big deal so I went to Rockler to buy a black chrome slimline only to find out they were out of stock. Went back a week later and they were still out of stock. They found some kits at another store across town so they had them shipped over.
When I finally had time to turn the pen, I noticed there was some bleed thru between the maple and blackwood segments. What the heck? I finished in anyway. Then I decided to try Craft Coat instead of CA for a finish. While the finish looks good, it's more of a satin than the gloss that a CA provides.
On top of that, I made another pen as a back up and it did not turn out like I had planned either.

So I entered this one. Even though I finished 22nd I had a blast!:biggrin:

rf1h.jpg

rf1g.jpg

clieb91

I turned 3 different pens for this contest, 2 were fat lines which came out ok. But I wound up entering the Russ Line style. which I have decided I like and am going to do more of in the future. Again learned a lot from entering this compettion and look forwarding to applying that information over the next year to do it again.

IMG_1908.jpg

southernclay

This one was mine, burl with Brooks cast Spanish moss centerband (cool blank). I did a couple before this but overturned the nib ends. The one previous to this was a Pacific Yew burl, I thought it would have been a great tribute to Mr Fairfield but didn't like the way it turned out as well. Uploaded that pic as well, I'm still new but learned a ton doing this challenge. 22nd isn't too great but I'll take it, I was just pleased to be in this group. Would love feedback, thanks!
Warren

Attachments

• fat boy.jpg
    fat boy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 131

Krudwig

Ok, I'm pretty glad with my 12th place tie. Not sure how many tied for twelfth place but I'm in the middle of the group. I turned my first pen in November of 2013 so it wouldn't have bothered me to come in last might could have won something had I been the last. As far as voting on pens it seems like my vote would not be worth as much as a more experienced turners. I by the way voted for the one that won, but honestly I just voted for the one I liked and thought fit the guidelines. I personally wouldn't vote for my own pen and not sure it was a 12 place I'm just not sure my opinions are as educated as some of the other who have done this a long time. I did have fun and I can't show my pen just yet cause I have another pen in a contest that might give me away if you saw the one I posted here. I did make five pens that day in the Russ styles and learned some things about his desires that I will remember and use on future pens. Not sure if I can even do as good next year but hope to be around to try, it's been fun! Congratulations to the winners the pens are great and I thought all the pens were impressive to say the least.

Karl_99

This pen was a lot of fun to do and I learned a lot. Prior to this contest, I had not paid a lot of attention to modified slimlines. It was fun to read about the different styles. This pen featured my first wooden centerband and try with wire burning. I really enjoyed this contest and look forward to trying again next year.

Brian G

I was entry #10, which finished tied for 9th. I'm good with that. I wish I could have flattened my learning curve on my camera and had better photographs. The swirl in the timber was a surprise, and looks awesome up close and personal.

Left2.jpg

I made two backups.

This is the backside of a canary wood and redheart fatline. The clip isn't visible. It was a little too plain, but the shape is a comfortable fit in the hand. Unlike the entry pen, and the second backup, this pen was a bit off center when twisted. I think I pressed a bit too hard during finish. The upper and lower barrels line up perfectly when the ink is retracted.

CanarySlim.jpg

I posted the other backup in my "What I'm learning" thread. It's lignum vitae with some stabliized and dyed buckeye burl accents. I had severe chip-out on the accents, which caused me to overturn the clip end, and resort to a decorative center band. It looks much greener now than when I took the picture.

LVSlim.jpg

Mr Vic

Missed the opt in for results. Was it possible to have zero votes. I voted for someone else's pen. Go figure...

Ed McDonnell

Here's a revised list with some new entries (not highlighted to make you have to look at the whole list again. Think of it as brain exercise.). That brings us up to 23 out of the 32 entries.

1 - Carl Fisher
2 - Sylvanite
3 (Tie) - Reddwil, Dan Masshardt
5 - rholiday
6 - Twist-Ed
7 - Karl_99
8 - BSea
9 (Tie) - Brian G, peterborough66, nedge
12 (Tie) - Krudwig, Mr Vic
17 (Tie) - toddlajoie, Falcon1220
19 (Tie) - tomfree99, buttonsHT, firewhatfire
22 (Tie) - edohmann, alankulwicki7, southerclay, SMJ1957
30 (Tie) - sschering

Ed

Nedge

Congrats

Congratulations to the Winners of the Russ Fairfield MMSC and all fellow members that entered. I look forward to next years contest.
Thanks
Ed

Ed McDonnell

One last update:

1 - Carl Fisher
2 - Sylvanite
3 (Tie) - Reddwil, Dan Masshardt
5 - rholiday
6 - Twist-Ed
7 - Karl_99
8 - BSea
9 (Tie) - Brian G, peterborough66, nedge
12 (Tie) - Krudwig, Mr Vic
17 (Tie) - toddlajoie, Falcon1220
19 (Tie) - tomfree99, buttonsHT, firewhatfire
22 (Tie) - edohmann, alankulwicki7, southerclay, SMJ1957, JTisher
30 (Tie) - sschering

toddlajoie

Geez!!! I was hoping after a couple of days I might be doing a bit better, but I'm STILL in 17th place tie!!!
I KNOW!!!
It's almost as if everyone thinks the contest is over. And I still have another entry to submit. :biggrin:

Entry, schmentry... I'm headed down to the local library, Starbucks, McDonalds, and anywhere else that has free Wi-Fi to sign up for IAP accounts under assumed names (tommlajoie has a nice ring to it...:biggrin:) so I can vote some more...

Top Bottom