Diamonds!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Angela S

Angela S

Here is my jump into the diamond adventure. I had a couple of issues and this is my third attempt. Still not completely happy, but I like it. Comments and criticism always welcome.
D0AEB819-00D5-4BDD-A3DF-F7E94A2AA011.jpeg
83813B09-79D8-4D91-AF44-DC79267A6530.jpeg
3873D353-66AE-4458-B3B4-1D5905EA6B83.jpeg
E905310D-F135-4A2F-A1D9-0F0B86287BFC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I like this and I think you can easily hone in on the sharpness of the cuts more and really tidy up the diamonds. Just out of curiosity what is the angle used to achieve that. I like the green outline to offset the colors. Nice touch. Again my segmenting heart strings are being tugged at. I revealed one of my suggestions in another thread just posted with diamonds but the user is using square diamonds which is alot easier.

Angela S

I like this and I think you can easily hone in on the sharpness of the cuts more and really tidy up the diamonds. Just out of curiosity what is the angle used to achieve that. I like the green outline to offset the colors. Nice touch. Again my segmenting heart strings are being tugged at. I revealed one of my suggestions in another thread just posted with diamonds but the user is using square diamonds which is alot easier.

Thanks. I do need to work on honing my cuts. The angle is 60 degrees.

FGarbrecht

Really nice, I like it.
How do you cut those tiny pieces safely? I still struggle trying to figure out how to cut small pieces, especially angle cuts without cutting off my fingers. I set up a zero clearance jig on my miter saw and use sticks as hold downs on little pieces but it is still unnerving to me when a little piece shoots across the room! I suppose I could learn to use a little handsaw:rolleyes:

Angela S

Really nice, I like it.
How do you cut those tiny pieces safely? I still struggle trying to figure out how to cut small pieces, especially angle cuts without cutting off my fingers. I set up a zero clearance jig on my miter saw and use sticks as hold downs on little pieces but it is still unnerving to me when a little piece shoots across the room! I suppose I could learn to use a little handsaw:rolleyes:

I use a jig on my table saw set to 60 degrees to make the slices. The piece that I am slicing up is always way longer than I need. This was my third attempt and making the diamonds and body of the pen is made from the leftover chunk.
B61C609B-9C77-43B6-8D69-F2E69EB5E8A9.jpeg

after glue up. I used my table saw and the microjig grr-ripper to push this through so may hands don't get close to the blade. Until one side is cut next to the diamonds.

0A492BB9-00AA-49DA-9D22-6DFC30A7E2DB.jpeg

Then I glued the sides stripe and outer piece on so it is thick enough to work with. Then repeat the process on the other side.

I would not feel comfortable cutting the stripe on miter saw. Everyone has to find the process that makes them comfortable. So be safe.

Lucky2

Angela, you state that your not completely happy with the outcome, well i'm sorry, but I think your being a little to critical of your own work. It's a gorgeous blank and now pen, I'd be over the moon, if I could get an outcome nearly this good.

Len

Angela S

Angela, you state that your not completely happy with the outcome, well i'm sorry, but I think your being a little to critical of your own work. It's a gorgeous blank and now pen, I'd be over the moon, if I could get an outcome nearly this good.

Len

Thanks! I am my harshest critic. Sometimes that is good and sometimes not so much. It helps me find ways to improve.

SteveJ

Well done Angela! I find the diamond cuts to be pretty simple, it is lining up the edges to square them off that stresses me out! Like you, I do one side and then glue up the rest of that half, with lots of extra to keep my hands clear. I do have a Byrnes table saw, and that makes it "seem" far less dangerous. I do like the green accent. Thanks for showing how you accomplished it.

Angela S

Well done Angela! I find the diamond cuts to be pretty simple, it is lining up the edges to square them off that stresses me out! Like you, I do one side and then glue up the rest of that half, with lots of extra to keep my hands clear. I do have a Byrnes table saw, and that makes it "seem" far less dangerous. I do like the green accent. Thanks for showing how you accomplished it.

I think I got the idea of doing it that way from one of your comments on a different tread. So thanks!

Top Bottom