Diamondcast colorshift eyeball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scry

Scry

New pen made from diamondcast colorshift. I've decided to call all the pens I make until I get a caliper, Eyeballs. Nothing special, or any major changes to my past designs. I am especially a big fan of the almost holographic effect at the ends.
20210505_201419.jpg

20210505_201538.jpg

Messed up a bit with the threads, pushed it a bit too high and started cutting into the main body. Still need to clean them up too. Luckily, the damage isn't super noticeable with the cap off.

Major difference is the shape of the section. I've found that the sections I made where they were short, fully cylindrical or sloped with a bevel at the ends became highly uncomfortable to use for long term writing, so I switched to a more ergonomic, organic shape.
This is a what I've been making most my sections
20210505_201924.jpg

This is my new design. Slightly longer with a more hourglass shape.
20210505_201741.jpg

Also tried out beaufort mandrels for the bottom half of the cap... turns out the one I got was not perfectly centered, making the cap one side thicker than the other
20210505_201621.jpg

^ the part where I pushed too much with the die is apparent here
20210504_233638.jpg

Also really like how it looks like it's glowing even in subdued lighting.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share all the details šŸ˜…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice work !!!

I like your detailed discussion.

Once you get your calipers, the measurements for diameters and lengths of barrel, cap, and section would be appreciated.
What sizes are all of the threads ?

What nib did you use ? ... Bock, or Jowo, or ? and what size of nib ? . Where did you buy the nib ? .

Scry

Very nice work !!!

I like your detailed discussion.

Once you get your calipers, the measurements for diameters and lengths of barrel, cap, and section would be appreciated.
What sizes are all of the threads ?

What nib did you use ? ... Bock, or Jowo, or ? and what size of nib ? . Where did you buy the nib ? .
For sizing I just went "body long enough to fit the converter with about .25 inche clearance above, cap longer than last time, and finial whatever size scrap I have left suitable for it"
The cap is roughly 14mm diameter, give or take up to .3mm
Body is roughly 12.5mm near the threads, tapering down to whatever size allows me to post the cap.

Cap and body and finial m12-.8
Section m9-.75
Using jowo #5 extra fine from meisternibs.com

magpens

@Scry

Thank you for providing these further details ... always of interest ! . :):)

Also remember that most of us are too lazy to refer to your "last time". .
Most of us have some idea of lengths and diameters but it is nice to read the specifics for every pen.

Top Bottom