Diamond Knurl Rollerball with Matching Center Band and Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

Nothing else to do with it being bitter cold outside. I found a hybrid blank I had poured back in May, and never used. I thought it would look nice in a Jr. Gent or Diamond Knurl rollerball.

I think I spent more time making the Center band (using my shop-made cheapo resin mandrel) and the finial than I did on the entire rest of the pen. But, each time I get a little better, and it goes a little smoother.

For some reason, the pen reminds me of the frozen Great Lakes (maybe because I have been watching the weatherman a lot lately.😁 )

009.JPG

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG

I hope you all have a nice Christmas and New Year! Stay Warm.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Really nice. I am really liking your custom center bands and something I want to try. Wondering what pens accommodate it?

JohnU

Great Job Kevin! The extra work payed off! You chose well…The Diamond Knurl Rollerballs are great for making custom center bands and finials being so easy to take apart and reassemble.
Keep up the Nice Work!

KMCloonan

Really nice. I am really liking your custom center bands and something I want to try. Wondering what pens accommodate it?
So far I have figured out that the Diamond Knurl Rollerball can have a custom center band and finial. The Junior Gent can take a custom finial. I am sure there are more, I just have not looked through all of my current inventory. Perhaps others on this site may know of other kits that can have custom center bands and finials.

KenB259

Great Job Kevin! The extra work payed off! You chose well…The Diamond Knurl Rollerballs are great for making custom center bands and finials being so easy to take apart and reassemble.
Keep up the Nice Work!
I just ordered some of them 😁

KMCloonan

Fantastic pen! Love the center band and end-cap. Newb-question, are there any good videos that teach this technique?
Here is the video by John Underhill (@JohnU ) that makes the custom finial process extremely clear.

As for the custom center band, I was not able to find any decent videos on the topic, but you can read about John U's technique, and the process I cobbled together in this IAP thread:

Good Luck!

ink_a_fink

Here is the video by John Underhill (@JohnU ) that makes the custom finial process extremely clear.

As for the custom center band, I was not able to find any decent videos on the topic, but you can read about John U's technique, and the process I cobbled together in this IAP thread:

Good Luck!

Good Luck!
Fantastic, thank you!

sorcerertd

Looks great. I think your "mandrel" is probably more dependable (and probably safer), than what I have been doing.

I just ordered some of them 😁
You'll like them. They're really nice kits to begin with, but the ability to customize them is a huge bonus. I recently picked up a couple black chrome ones that I've yet to get started on.

KMCloonan

A challenge to all! When parting the finial, catch the piece in a hobby fish net, about 4x4, from the pet store or big box store.
I used John Underhill's method: Use a parting tool to make the cut, but stop when the "stem" is pretty thin, turn off the lathe, and use a razor blade to cut the stem off the main blank. That way the new finial doesn't go flying off into some remote corner of my shop.

Top Bottom