Casting Diamond dust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Im looking for real Diamond dust/powder to make pen blanks with. Ive seen them around. Does anyone know what kind to look for? Also does anyone know any good places to buy it?
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

This is just a guess, but I think real diamond dust would be very abrasive to any turning tools. Someone posted here (years ago) that he tried casting colored sand into banks, and it basically turned the turning blank into a grinder & ruined the edge on his tools.

Well, I can tell you that the use of it in pen blanks is currently patent pending. My patent application is awaiting the USPTO to review. I created the original DiamondCast blanks which a few folks have attempted to copy but have fallen short... a lot of time, money, and testing went into ensuring tool safety and I know the copy cat did NOT do any testing. Use the wrong size and you'll likely wear tools down.

There are other ways to get close to the same sparkle...

greenacres2

Well, I can tell you that the use of it in pen blanks is currently patent pending. My patent application is awaiting the USPTO to review. I created the original DiamondCast blanks which a few folks have attempted to copy but have fallen short... a lot of time, money, and testing went into ensuring tool safety and I know the copy cat did NOT do any testing. Use the wrong size and you'll likely wear tools down.

In using Tim's blanks, i notice no difference in tool wear--just like any other Alumilite turning. I find that cocobolo, ironwood and even mesquite are much harder on my tools. Even stabilized spalts are noticeably tougher on tooling in my experience. Admittedly a small sampling, i've only done 50 or so pens with DiamondCast blanks.
earl

R

requal

Good luck with that.
A simple change in language and marketing will make that patent useless.
Not to mention someone manufacturing outside the US.

Also, selling any diamond pen blanks before your patent is approved, will also prevent infringement by date stamping.

Good luck with that.

A simple change in language and marketing will make that patent useless.

Not to mention someone manufacturing outside the US.

Also, selling any diamond pen blanks before your patent is approved, will also prevent infringement by date stamping.
While I appreciate your feedback, all of those have been accounted for. Technically we've been patent pending since last year with a provisional patent. This is not a design patent but rather a utility patent that I spent considerable time on. The main goal being the preservation of quality associated with the name.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

MikeinSC

I'm curious, what does the pending payment actually cover? The use of diamond dust or is it more broad in scope? Such as making other blanks with embeds, size, shape, colors, etc?

I'm curious, what does the pending payment actually cover? The use of diamond dust or is it more broad in scope? Such as making other blanks with embeds, size, shape, colors, etc?
I'm sure you can appreciate that I can't give out exact details but it's pretty specific. Wouldn't want to step on any one's toes for other things! Just looking to protect my original idea.

jxdubbs

I wasnt trying to step on anyones feet. Or trying to copy anyones hard work. Honestly i wasn't going to be making any money. I was going to be a gift for someone close to me.. It was going to a one time thing. I dont want to start anything or **** people off. Im going to scrap the idea. I thought it was like allagator bone or shark vertebrates. Though i have seen other people do it. Back to the drawing board.

MikeinSC

I'm not asking for specifics of your patent. I am more merely curious if you are trying to patent the process of embedding other materials into a polyurethane resin or epoxy that is used to make pen blanks.

Curly

Mike a patent doesn't stop you from making something for your own use but not to sell. So as long as you can figure out how to make it you can. If you do figure it out telling the world how is a violation of the patent as is selling them. The rub is figuring out how it would be done without going through a long process of experimentation.

MikeinSC

Curly,
I've been making, selling, and using my own blanks for the past 4 years. I've got that figured out.

What I'm asking Tim is if the patent he has applied for covers the broad scope of adding anything to a resin. A product that is then used for pen blanks. Or, is it just for the addition of diamond particulates into resin.

If it's the process of adding anything to resin for a pen blank, then that could, conceivably, include making any pen blank.

Curly,
I've been making, selling, and using my own blanks for the past 4 years. I've got that figured out.

What I'm asking Tim is if the patent he has applied for covers the broad scope of adding anything to a resin. A product that is then used for pen blanks. Or, is it just for the addition of diamond particulates into resin.

If it's the process of adding anything to resin for a pen blank, then that could, conceivably, include making any pen blank.
Mike,

I'd never try to do that... As I said, it's very specific with proper justification. I'm not the type to try and claim others work as my own or attempt to block others from doing their thing.

jxdubbs

If you've never tried DiamondCast, I'd be happy to cast one for you free of charge for your gift. Just let me know.

Ive actually never turned one before. Ill take you up on that offer. Thats really generous of you. Thank you very much!

In reviewing the USPTO there is no record of any trademark or patent on file, either pending or issued. Please clarify.
USPTO protects patents for 18 months from time filed. It is filed and we hope to get approval in the very near future. (12 month turnaround just to get one read... Slow process.)

Trademark shows up just fine for me. The search can be tricky sometimes.

Last edited:

Carl Pepka

I never searched for his patent or patent application since I know him to be a honest person then again I would have no reason to search for it. I do love his blanks and my tools have no problems at all.

erichardson

My suggestion is stick with Tim's Diamondcast blanks. Always the best on the market, hands down!

Top Bottom