Diamond Cast Finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

I just turned my first Dimondcast pen blank. ... so you know... On all wood pens I use a CA finish, Micro Mesh down to 12,000 grit. And then put on a coat of Ren Wax.

On acrylics... I do nothing but the Micro Mesh. and al little Ren Wax

I just wet sanded with Micro Mesh the Diamond Cast.... then it occurred to me that I have never done an Alumilite material before. What do you suggest with the Diamond Cast? Do I use CA or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

If i find the material to be somewhat "powdery", I will apply several coats of thin and medium CA. For years, I never applied CA to non-wooos/plastics and never had a problem. I just thought it would add some strength and protection. It may not do either.

studioseven

I always operated on the theory that the reason for using a CA finish is to make wood feel and appear like plastic. I've never used any type of acrylic where I could obtain a better shine by adding a CA finish. I know there are turners that will not use CA on wood because they don't like that look. Different strokes for different folks. Anyway, I always sand to 600 grit, then use micromesh. Lastly I will apply some sort of polish. Hut ultra gloss is a good one but there are many others.

Seven

duncsuss

Thanks for checking with Tim McKenzie - I have made a DiamondCast pen and didn't think to apply CA. But it doesn't surprise me: several years ago I bought some Alumilite blanks with embedded glitter from Jonathan Brooks, and he recommended finishing with CA to get that final "pop".

I don't know if it's a function of the Alumilite or the glittery stuff embedded - perhaps the CA fills and seals any tiny air gaps between the particles and the resin, in the same way that CA (or oil) fills the pores in wood and makes the figure pop.

JoeCallahan

I'm with greenacres2 and duncsuss on this one. Applying a CA topcoat to blanks embedded with things like diamond or glitter will always make your finished piece really pop. From what I can see, this is a function of the polished CA acting almost like a magnifier, and giving a little more depth to the finished blanks appearance. But this is just my theory.

-Joe

Think of it like a clear coat on paint... When you paint a car you've got a nice glossy paint but adding that clear coat just adds depth. (Literally... even if it's just a few microns) Alumilite is a fairly hard material but it does present a few challenges in polishing compared to say a true acrylic. We're actually in the middle of testing some more industrial type resins that are harder, UV resistant and may polish up a bit better. :) Feel free to reach out directly if you ever have any questions!

Top Bottom