Diamond Art Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

IMG_8922.jpeg
IMG_8924.jpeg
This Diamond Painting craft hobby seems to be growing. I see some handmade DP handles in Etsy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're selling. I made a mandrel from hard maple, basically a couple of tenons that fit snugly onto the plastic tube. Hot glued one end to a live center. I batched out a set to take to my next show. I was thinking about a $25 price point.

What are your thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

While they look nice, I have no idea what they are. Had to look it up.

Interesting.

I'll be curious to see if you find a market for them.

Fine Engineer

My brother has been doing this for a while now and the market is definitely there. He has been selling his for $50-$75 each without the ends, and has made something over 500 of them so far. Look up House of Rainbows on Facebook. He makes them in batches of 10 and they are all sold before he finishes them.

What seems to be the big attraction is being 'sparkly'. He has done a few hybrids, but his customers just love the acrylics with lots of glitter or other sparkly things in them. A high gloss finish is also a major selling point.

Fine Engineer

I looked it up and still don't get it.. 🤷‍♂️
Diamond 'painting' is sort of a version of paint by numbers, except instead of paint you use small beads called 'drills'. The canvas is all small squares with a letter in each one designating what color drill is inserted there. You press them into place with the pen and they become attached (I'm not sure if they are held by adhesive or mechanically). Some pen tips have a socket for a single drill, and others have several sockets for multiple drills (usually of the same color).

Here is a link to a website that shows what this is all about https://www.diamondartclub.com/

This is not really my thing, as I find the artwork rather juvenile, but art is subjective, so if this tickles your fancy, who am I to urinate in your corn flakes? Looking at the responses to my brother's Facebook group, these people are pretty passionate about this, so this definitely resonates with a growing number of people.

d_bondi

Diamond 'painting' is sort of a version of paint by numbers, except instead of paint you use small beads called 'drills'. The canvas is all small squares with a letter in each one designating what color drill is inserted there. You press them into place with the pen and they become attached (I'm not sure if they are held by adhesive or mechanically). Some pen tips have a socket for a single drill, and others have several sockets for multiple drills (usually of the same color).

Here is a link to a website that shows what this is all about https://www.diamondartclub.com/

This is not really my thing, as I find the artwork rather juvenile, but art is subjective, so if this tickles your fancy, who am I to urinate in your corn flakes? Looking at the responses to my brother's Facebook group, these people are pretty passionate about this, so this definitely resonates with a growing number of people.
Thanks for the explanation Jeff. Doesn't look like my thing either, but to each his (or her) own...

Top Bottom