dewaxing my burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I have some burl cutoffs that I plan on doing the 'worthless wood'treatment with, but they are waxed. What's the best (easiest) way to 'dewax' them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Steve there is only one way I have ever found to do it right----boil it.
I just toss them in a drum full of water and heat it up over a open fire----you really don't need to reach a boil--just get it good and hot the wax will just float off.
Don't do did in the house---your wife will skin you alive---this makes a mess and smells.

Fred

I usually tie a weight to my blanks and make sure they remain under the boiling water. The wax almost instantly comes off and floats on top of the water. I turn off the gas to the heater and then skim the wax off to the side and remove the blanks. Removing the blanks I then place them standing up so that they drain quite well. It doesn't take but just a little bit of time and they are dry and ready to turn.

Boiling of green, fresh cut wood has also proven to be a very reliable method of preventing cracking, etc. I boil for an hour for each inch of thickness of the wood. It seems that the heat of the boiling relaxes the wood completely and allows it to dry evenly. I have yet to experience any severe splitting on my green pen/bowl blanks that I cut down to size after they were boiled. Try it you just may be in for a peasant surprise yourself.

BTW, the fryer I use is sold at Northern Handiman ... Harbor Freight doesn't carry them unless they have recently started to. The one I have uses a B-B-Q tank and came with all the necessary parts to set it up and use. :)

sbell111

Originally posted by Gary MaxDon't do did in the house---your wife will skin you alive---this makes a mess and smells.
I did it in the kitchen. It was only a small amount and the smell was mostly carried away by the exhaust fan.

Cathy doesn't need to know.

Top Bottom