Dessert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Preacher John, I sometime believe that some people don't get real desert IRONwood. I feel the same as you do. šŸ˜ The Ironwood I have is like that!
10 years ago I had gotten a pen blank of the stuff. I want to make a pen for a sermon illustration this week. (I'll be giving it away) The only kit I have right now is an Atlas/Patriot-style gold. So, I thought the Ironwood would look good with it. It took a while for it to cool down, it got so hot just from drilling the 3/8" hole. And yes, I took my time and cleared as I went. I'll drop a pic later when it's done.

Robbie

I have made several pens from Iron wood, one for my wife 20 or so years ago, it still is her favorite.

BoonareeBurl

10 years ago I had gotten a pen blank of the stuff. I want to make a pen for a sermon illustration this week. (I'll be giving it away) The only kit I have right now is an Atlas/Patriot-style gold. So, I thought the Ironwood would look good with it. It took a while for it to cool down, it got so hot just from drilling the 3/8" hole. And yes, I took my time and cleared as I went. I'll drop a pic later when it's done.
I thought this was a light-hearted play/joke on the misspelling of "desert" as "dessert"! That's why I posted my comment. Sorry!

G

rherrell

My favorite wood, I like to pair it with deer antler. I make the cap from antler and the body from DI. On this one I made the grip portion from antler and used DI for the finial and trim ring. I absolutely LOVE Desert Ironwood!!!!

swaphoto6.jpg

egnald

I get my Sonoran Desert Ironwood from a wood seller located in Rio Rico, Arizona. Rio Rico is an unincorporated community in Santa Cruz County and is located in the highest and coldest subdivision of the Sonoran Desert. Even though it is extremely dense and hard It is one of my very favorite woods and makes gorgeous pens. - Dave

PreacherJon

I decided not to put the clip on because it would block a lot of chatoyance that is in the blank. Which the camera does not do justice.

Attachments

• Dessert Ironwood Pen 1c.jpg
    Dessert Ironwood Pen 1c.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 52

sbwertz

I befriended a local tree trimmer. There is a lot of Desert Ironwood growing in the Phoenix area. He kept me supplied for years until he moved out of state. He brought me an eight foot long, twelve inch diameter log once.

Top Bottom