designing the shop.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Hello to all the members. I am asking for some input.

I have a shop that is 18'x30' that is a mess. Nothing is where it should be and there is no rime or reason to it at this time.

Sometime next month.......I am planning to take everything out to clean and layout the shop for my birthday gift to myself. If you have ever had a 'catchall space'.......you understand what I am talking about. This has been my place for years to get away from the house and phone. It has also been the place I 'store' things.

NOW, I want to make this a place to continue to escape to and do pens/crafts/wood working. But when it comes to laying out a functioning design......I am lost. I can't just pick one. I see to many great ideas I want to use but can't decide.

So I am asking the membership for their ideas and help. I have the standard tools. Table saw, radial arm saw, chop/miter saw.....several lathes.....rolling drill press.....movable drum sander......and more tool chests then I need.

So please help me or point me in a general direction to make this happen.
Thank you everyone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I laid mine out by stage of the process. the front of the shop is for cutting and breaking down materials (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, etc...) the left side of the shop are drill and sanding stations for prep work, a long cabinet/counter line along the back with hand tools and work surface and all 3 lathes along the right towards the back. A workbench in the middle.

Makes it so I can do the work I need in one location before moving on to somewhere else.

randyrls

One thing you want to consider is where stock is fed into and out of a machine. Mobile Platforms help when using a tool to move machines into position and out of the way. The radial arm and chop saws may be redundant. My chop saw is on a Rigid Saw stand. Folds up when not in use and easy to roll outside onto the grass where it makes less mess.

OOPS

I would agree with both Carl and Randy above. My bigger tools (14" band saw, table saw) were put on mobile platforms, so I can move them out of the way, and pull them into the center of the shop when needed. The ability to move the table saw out of the shop completely to work with 4x8 sheets of material has been especially convenient.

I set my shop up in a manner similar to Carl. I walked in with a blank and determined the steps I would take to produce a pen, then laid out the shop in that order. The mobile tools are pushed against a wall when not needed and the other three walls have work surfaces, or bench top tools. By the time I make the loop, I have a pen.

I hope this helps. Also, depending on your wall height, you can make useable storage with peg boards or shelving. My lesser used items are stored high above the action, and I get a ladder when those items are needed.

BradG

Lathe, with a workbench within reach. mines behind me, so I can turn around and pick up tools, and lay out things im working on at that time. everything else is personal preference.

The only other thing I would say is if you can, try not to store anything which isn't workshop related in your shop. stick it in the attic,basement, spare room where ever SWMBO will allow. you should see the state of our conservatory where I cleared the garage out! .... will hire a skip soon

stonepecker

I have "How to......." books comming out my ears.
I have played with shop design tools like the Grizzly's planner.

Just about the time I decide, I see something that is great looking and point and go "OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.........." and then the wife hits the back of my head again. "Make up your mind!!!" she screams.

The best advice so far....... "Take everything ELSE out of the shop" Which to me means remove the fishing gear, books, model trains, rolling shelving, etc.......
This is one case where I just can't seem to zero into one thing.

I like the idea of working bigger at the front and smaller or finished pieces in the back. Still trying to wrap my brain around that idea.

Thanks for all the input so far. TWO weeks for me to decide what I am going to do and then get started. I will post pictures from start to finish. Everyone should enjoy the laugh.

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

If you read your own post you will discover you already have someones opinion on how to set it up. You would need to get rid of that "I" fellow because he has already set it up the way he likes it. If "I" was an obsessive, compulsive, neat freak with a desire to maximize efficiency "I" would already done that for you.

Now "Me" just set a 6 inch rule down walked five feet turned around and could not find it. No amount of reorganization prevents that.

stonepecker

I have begun. Just wanted to thank everyone who sent PM's about ideas. Some of them will work......others, I just don't have that kind of room.

Keep the ideas comming as nothing (in the shop) is set into stone.

jyreene

Don't forget ample storage space for your materials. I know I've seen a few great shops that get too cluttered or ruined because material storage was either an after thought or no thought at all.

Fish30114

Stonepecker, just a few thoughts, may have already done some of this.

!. focus on your lighting--I find it difficult to have too much light!

2. Look into a 'French cleat' system--or 'slat wall' stuff, basically the same.

3. Consider some rolling tool chests for storage and convenience, I have found the Home Depot has what I think are the best value for them, they even offer one or two that have clear drawer fronts on them and lighting--very nice!

Good Luck with your 'new' shop!!

Top Bottom