Desert Woodturning Roundup, 2007

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Wow, I almost missed this. I'll be going. This will be my first. I'm sure it will be very exciting for me. I still have to get over to your store and scoop up one of your coveted pens. I'll do my registration tomorrow when I have my credit card on me. Thanks Anthony for letting me know about this.

vick

I am and I know Dubrvrkev is signed up as well.
At the last meeting I think they said they had over 320 already signed up for it.

darbytee

I actually looked into flying out for it, but the weekend would have ended up costing over $1000. It should be a good time. I understand that Malcolm Tibbetts is going to be there.

PenWorks

Pretty good show, ran into several IAP members, Mike, Kevin, Tanner, Justin and some others. BB was there and gave him a little grief, but not much, as he is bigger than me [:D]

Ran into this in the parking lot that had to come home with me, about a 200lb buckeye burl [:)] Now I have to figure how to cut it up into some bowl & pen blanks

200721223323_buckeyeburl_log.jpg
<br />

vick

Real good show, great to see Anthony again and meet Tanner, not so exciteing seeing Kevin [}:)]. I managed to make it out without spending any money but did do a trade with Dave Smith from Washington and got a couple pieces of Honey Locust and a small piece of Honey Locust burl for a 10 inch AZ Ash bowl blank. I was hoping for more trading going on, I had a couple pieces of Acacia and a mesquite burl in my car that had to come back home with me.

dubdrvrkev

Yes, it was good to see everybody...even Mike [;)] and meet a few new ones.
Funny thing about that burl is there were two that were about twice that size. [:0] I think I'd max out the lathe with at least one blank from that bad boy.

I wasn't able to get away from the vendors without spending a little dough.
BB made a nice donation to the club with his generous bidding on some great stuff at the live auction. So thumbs up to him.

wudnhed

LOML and I wanted to go to the Mesa show but we're saving for a trip to Vegas in May. I emailed Ken at Kallenshaan Woods in Vegas to see if he knew of any wood or pen places. He said there wasn't much around [:(]

stevers

I couldn't find much in Vegas either. Vegas is my closest major city and all I can find is Woodworkers Emporium. And their turning supplies are pretty limited. Most of the lathes are high dollar full size stuff. Only one or two minis on display. Good people though, helpful if you want and leave you alone if you want. Sometimes I just want to look around. Anyway Becca, have fun in Vegas and don't loose your a[}:)][}:)]. I have the address's and phone numbers for the WW emporiums if you want.

jclark58

It was great to put a few more names to a few more faces. I finally got to meet Anthony, Dave Smith, Bill Baumbeck, Wally Dickerman, a bunch of other great turners, and Mike and Kevin[:D]. I was the official photographer for the event and was able to handle and photograph every piece in the Instant Gallery (the photos will be up on the Arizona Woodturners Association page as soon as I can get through them all) as well as be up front and in some cases on stage with some of the demonstrators to get close up photos. I'll never forget just how light and delicate Bohn Pho's pieces are.

I ended up spending quite a bit at Bill's booth and a bit more on one of the live auction items (I'll post a photo as soon as I get a chance to get it photographed). The demos I attended were very educational and VERY humbling. Bihn Pho and Stuart Batty both had great demonstrations, as did Trent Bosch and Donald Derry. I didn't spend any significant time in any of the demos by Art Liestman, Tony Cortese, Curt Theobold, Robert Rosand, Malcolm Tibbets, or Tim Wadley but all seemed to be well attended and very informative.

Next year we need to have someone demonstrating basic and advanced pen turning. Bill Baumbeck, Anthony, and Ed Davidson have all been mentioned.

Jason

PenWorks

I spent most of my demo sessions with Pho, Batty & Derry. They all were very talented and funny and lively enough to keep you interested without falling asleep and getting whiplash. Staying awake is a lot harder than it use to be [:D]

I purchased Pho's book River of Destiny, excellent book of his work, which is mostly carved, pierced and air brush painted work. What a master at his craft.

Now Jason, don't be posting any bad pics of my pens [:D]

jclark58

Anthony, I don't think it's possible to take bad photos of your pens. Did you win the auction copy of Bihn's book or get it directly?

Jason

BTW, Regarding my strobes, I believe I purchased something similar to the Digi Bee package shen I got my strobes several years ago. I did add 2 carry bags to protect the units.
http://www.alienbees.com/digi.html
http://www.alienbees.com/cb1.html

PenWorks

I bought the book from Bihn and he signed it.
I did look at the web site the other day. For those of you who want to free yourself
up from using lights and go to a strobe system. The link Jason posted is from the strobes he uses. Very nice stuff for the money.

Tanner

Hey Anthony, if you need help in cutting that burl up let me know. Let me know, I am going by that way this week as we picked up the Boulders as an account. It was nice to see you again and meet Kevin and Mike. You're right about falling asleep. I almost started slapping myself.[:I] I'll get more out of a Penturner's get together.

jclark58

Anthony,

Your photos were among the first to get uploaded, more will be coming over the course of the next couple days.

turchetta1.sized.jpg

http://azwoodturners.org/v-web/gallery/DWR-2007-Instant-Gallery

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom