Desert Ironwood with Turquoise Dinero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

The kit is the Dinero from WoodPenPro.com. it is basically a cheaper version of the panache. I like the decoration in the end pieces and the price. The hardware/plating is ok, but definitely not Panache (dayacom) quality. Also the threading for the cap is single start, so you gotta twist forever (I think the panache is triple start, maybe even quad). I'm also a little hesitant about the metal-metal cap threads. But all together I think it's a decent value kit, something a little different.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I made a thin parting tool from an old steak knife to cut the grooves to inlay the turquoise powder with CA. The break for the cap just so happened to be at a wavy point in the grain, so although the alignment is pretty good it looks off unless you really study it. I might consider doing the same pen with the panache but make customer endcaps using turquoise trustone.

PSX_20200525_215949.jpg

PSX_20200525_215702.jpg
PSX_20200525_215508.jpg
PSX_20200525_215554.jpg
PSX_20200525_220350.jpg
PSX_20200525_220155.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is beautiful. đź‘Ť Many aspects are really appealing; the blank, finish, inlays and the end caps. Thank you for sharing. Be well.

Dehn0045

Very nice! I can never get clean lines on powder. Great job

Thanks Tony. I have only used powder a couple of times and this was the first time with the groove all the way around. One of the reasons I decided to try it with this kit was the extra meat of the blank, I was able to make a fairly deep groove without much worry. I used thin CA and tried not to use too much excess. The CA kind of "washed" the powder away if I used too much. I also tried to work as quickly as possible. There are two small spots with just clear CA, but there is turquoise underneath so they aren't very noticeable. There is definitely a skill to it, but I'm really happy with the result. The flaws are only motivation to try it again!

Lucky2

Sam, that is a beautiful pen, but in the second to last pic. Is that a reflection, or is there a small crack that was repaired on the upper portion/cap of the pen?

Len

Dehn0045

Sam, that is a beautiful pen, but in the second to last pic. Is that a reflection, or is there a small crack that was repaired on the upper portion/cap of the pen?

Len

Thanks Len. That is just a reflection, at least I didn't notice anything last night, but I'll definitely take a closer look when I get home. I really struggle with photographing darker pens, one of these days I'll spend some time learning and improving on that.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Fantastic! Well done! Simple lines, perfect spacing, beautiful colors. It came together excellently!

This design will have some copy-cats in the future! :D

TonyL

Thanks Tony. I have only used powder a couple of times and this was the first time with the groove all the way around. One of the reasons I decided to try it with this kit was the extra meat of the blank, I was able to make a fairly deep groove without much worry. I used thin CA and tried not to use too much excess. The CA kind of "washed" the powder away if I used too much. I also tried to work as quickly as possible. There are two small spots with just clear CA, but there is turquoise underneath so they aren't very noticeable. There is definitely a skill to it, but I'm really happy with the result. The flaws are only motivation to try it again!
Thank you very much. I will try again.

Top Bottom