Desert Ironwood burl kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Hi everyone! I wanted to show my last pen, made from a wonderful DIW burl, with a Damascus clip. The guy wanted a 18K rose gold nib to fit some pink diamonds he has and which will be fitted at each end, on the steel dots. Cap is sleeved with acrylic. It is not that easy to take a good picture of Damascus steel...
Any Cc are welcome. Enjoy!

IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I always like people who make these type pens with the squared off ends as opposed to the round bulbous type ends. This design seems sleeker and more professional. Just my opinion. But nice job all around.

PenPal

Hi my good friend,very few penturners can cut threads in timber cleanly I trust the weather has turned for the better and you are safe. Love the pen ,diamonds sound very precious the pen so far is great,warm regards Peter.

magpens

@Pierre---

Please can you tell us if you treat the wood in any way before cutting the threads . . . . any kind of stabilization treatment ?

Also, do you cut the threads using single-point threading techniques, or do you use taps and dies ?

Pierre---

@Pierre---

Please can you tell us if you treat the wood in any way before cutting the threads . . . . any kind of stabilization treatment ?

Also, do you cut the threads using single-point threading techniques, or do you use taps and dies ?
Sure.
Usually, I make a first cut a bit too shallow, then I coat the threads with thin CA, then make the last cut. Kind of stabilization I guess. I made test with and without, with is a bit better. It does not make miracles, but threads on weak woods are cleaner. Some woods like maple are threadable with this technique, and not really without.

Dies do not work on wood. I use a threading machine, same system as this one but smaller, with a 10 000 rpm engine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom