Desert Ironwood burl kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

I wanted to make a fp with this wood for a long time, but I could not find a burl that met my expectations.
Patience paid, I recently laid hands on a very nice piece! :) It really takes threads nicely.

Thanks for your comments.

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW !!!!

B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L !!

Your workmanship is outstanding !!!!

Do the wood cylinders have any internal support ? . What threads did you use ?

I've often thought of trying to thread DIW, so I am now inspired to give it a try ... thank you for showing and inspiring !!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry! That is simply superb. I agree on the high quality of the blank, but your complete pen, profile and craftsmanship is just outstanding.

I love seeing quality like this.

Pierre---

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

Do the wood cylinders have any internal support ? What threads did you use ?
No internal supports. I am absolutely sure straight grained wood does not need any tubing, as it is stronger than resins. And I think/hope I won't have any problem with this tough burl wood.
I made M9.5x1 threads for section, and M13x1 double start for barrel to cap threads. A bit coarser than with resin!

I especially love the little nib feature on the cap (assuming to keep it from rolling?)!
Exactly, it is a roll stop. I did not want the flowing line being disturbed by a clip.

Last edited:

PenPal

To my good friend you know I regard you as a Turning Guru mate. That is the finest Desert Iron Wood I have ever seen in print,picture or any forum over the last nearly forty years. It is dream material ,I regard you as one of the best pen turners ever mate. I just got home and I will dwell on that series of pictures for a long time. Not everyone knows of your turning ability but I have infinite respect for your real hand skills. Please put this on the UK site. This is ever so exciting for me to witness. Congratulations finding this timber, such an accomplishment is rare and priviliged to only a very few IMHO.

Kind regards Peter in Aus.

Top Bottom