Dennis kit question #2 ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

I just got several kits from Exoitc Blanks (super fast, thanks Ed). I have a left over' feather blank I made for a Jr Gent, I cracked the upper barrel. Anyone have any thoughts if the shorter lower barrel Gent (2.09) will work for the Dennis?

eharri446

According to the Exotic Blanks website the Dennis tubes are 2.169 inches long and the Jr Gent lower tube is 2.09 inches long. I think that the spring would compress enough to make the difference unnoticeable.

Timber Ripper

I just got several kits from Exoitc Blanks (super fast, thanks Ed). I have a left over' feather blank I made for a Jr Gent, I cracked the upper barrel. Anyone have any thoughts if the shorter lower barrel Gent (2.09) will work for the Dennis?
Jeff,
Did it crack when you were pressing on parts? I had that happen to me once with a feather blank. I was able to fill the crack with CA, let cure and then proceeded to sand and polish. I couldn't find where I made the repair. I filed the inside of the tube some so the parts were more of a slip fit. Then used CA when assembling. It was a little extra work but I was able to save the blank.

socdad

According to the Exotic Blanks website the Dennis tubes are 2.169 inches long and the Jr Gent lower tube is 2.09 inches long. I think that the spring would compress enough to make the difference unnoticeable.
Kink of what I thought as well, can't hurt to give it a try ...
Jeff,
Did it crack when you were pressing on parts? I had that happen to me once with a feather blank. I was able to fill the crack with CA, let cure and then proceeded to sand and polish. I couldn't find where I made the repair. I filed the inside of the tube some so the parts were more of a slip fit. Then used CA when assembling. It was a little extra work but I was able to save the blank.
No, upper barrel cracked during casting, not sure why. Everything else in the pot came out fine. I planned to make a new cap, this was several years ago, haven't gotten around to it yet ...

Top Bottom