demold time for silmar 41

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

I will be doing tube-in clear casts using the vertical casting system. How long should the molds be left in the pressur pot? How long should I wait to demold (remove nylon and silicone plugs) the casts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Like Don and JT, I let them cure for 18-20 hours. They will be tacky out of the tank. If they come out real sticky I let them sit for 8-12 hours before removing the tapered plugs. The top plug will be the worst. I often roll it on paper to remove the resin.

pssherman

Like Don and JT, I let them cure for 18-20 hours. They will be tacky out of the tank. If they come out real sticky I let them sit for 8-12 hours before removing the tapered plugs. The top plug will be the worst. I often roll it on paper to remove the resin.
Do you keep them under pressure the whole time? Or can they be removed from the prerssure tank and set aside thereby freeing the tank for another batch?

JohnU

I keep them under pressure for the first 18 hours and then let then remove them and let them sit to be less tacky.

jttheclockman

Do you keep them under pressure the whole time? Or can they be removed from the prerssure tank and set aside thereby freeing the tank for another batch?
I keep them in tank over night. Then sometime the next day I take out and if I want I can put more in. I do not pay attention to times. I know a whole night which is at least 12 to 14 hours will fine. I do not demold untill I need them. I cast in plastic tubes so there is no sticky stuff to worry about. At times I may stick in toaster oven for a few minutes to make sure they are cured if I am in a hurry to turn. But usually never in a hurry any more these days. Here is what they look like after I take the silicone stopper out and the copper ones were flushed trimmed. Now they all are never perfect. The 2 red copper and black ones, the top one is perfect and the one under it went haywire. Same pot. Same pour, Same everything. Just one of those things. It happens. Hand made stuff. Things happen.
IMGP0712.JPG
IMGP0713.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom