Delta 46-460 head noise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I've been turning some heavy, not well balanced, bowl blanks on my Delta 46-460 (I've had the lather for over 5 years now and bought it new) and I've been hearing a consistent tapping noise coming from the head of the lathe. It's mostly when in the slower set of pulleys and will stop making noise if I loosen up the tension on the belt. Problem is I cannot run with the tension loose as it will stop turning.

I've ordered a set of SKF bearings that I got the part numbers from an older thread on this site and I wanted to hear from those that have gone through the replacement already.

Was the break down of the head and pulleys pretty straight forward? Did you need to use much force to get the assembly apart? I'm a bit tentative to start this breakdown to find I will need all kinds of tools I dont already have.

Appreciate your feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

I have the same gear & experienced a similar 'tapping noise'. I found a small separation in the drive belt right at the seam. I did the same as you, loosening the tension & it went away. You might not need those bearings - good luck.

Mortalis

I have the same gear & experienced a similar 'tapping noise'. I found a small separation in the drive belt right at the seam. I did the same as you, loosening the tension & it went away. You might not need those bearings - good luck.
This would be great. I will check it first thing this weekend.
I also ordered a new belt. Should arrive sometime between May 18 and the 21st.
How did the process go to change the belt? Does the shaft just slip out of the bearings?

MPVic

This would be great. I will check it first thing this weekend.
I also ordered a new belt. Should arrive sometime between May 18 and the 21st.
How did the process go to change the belt? Does the shaft just slip out of the bearings?
I should have mentioned that I have not changed the belt yet, just put up with the noise for now. By the way, where did you find a source for this belt? Those multi-groove belts are very difficult to get here in Canada.

monophoto

I should have mentioned that I have not changed the belt yet, just put up with the noise for now. By the way, where did you find a source for this belt? Those multi-groove belts are very difficult to get here in Canada.

There was a thread here several years ago that identified V-Belt Global Supply as a source of replacement belts. I had a couple of replacement belts for my Turncrafter that I bought from PSI that I measured pretty carefully, and found that the listing in the V-Belt on-line catalog offered options that matched the measurements exactly.

MPVic

There was a thread here several years ago that identified V-Belt Global Supply as a source of replacement belts. I had a couple of replacement belts for my Turncrafter that I bought from PSI that I measured pretty carefully, and found that the listing in the V-Belt on-line catalog offered options that matched the measurements exactly.

Thank you so much, will check that out.

Mortalis

Amazon, they gots everything

Top Bottom