Definitely Not Pen Related

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Nothing to do with woodworking but this is something my wife and I have wanted to try, homemade butter. It took about twenty minutes and it is delicious. So fast and so easy, I doubt we'll buy store bought butter again. Also half the cost of store bought. We made it in a Kitchen Aid mixer. 1 quart of heavy whipping cream yielded 12 ounces of butter. Tastes better than store bought by a long shot.

Attachments

• IMG_9835.jpeg
    IMG_9835.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 47
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

We have a kitchen aid mixer I bought my wife about 40 years ago. She uses it a couple of times a week. I will see if I can get her to agree to make me some good butter... Thanks for the idea!

Lew

I remember when I was a kid churning butter at my grandmother's house whenever we visited. It was the old wooden staved barrel with a pole in the top that you pumped up and down. And yes the result was delicious.

KenB259

We have a kitchen aid mixer I bought my wife about 40 years ago. She uses it a couple of times a week. I will see if I can get her to agree to make me some good butter... Thanks for the idea!
It really is super easy. My one tip is if you're doing a whole quart, do it a pint at a time.

Dieseldoc

Ken: This. sure bring back memories as when raised on a dairy. My Mother always made
butter. spent lot of time hand turning the machine she used to make it. Remember my Dad saying not to skim the milking cans for the cream but he sure like his butter!!!

GaryMGg

I remember when I was a kid churning butter at my grandmother's house whenever we visited. It was the old wooden staved barrel with a pole in the top that you pumped up and down. And yes the result was delicious.
We have one of those hand pumped wooden stave churns—when the grandkids visit, we make homemade ice cream in it.

sbwertz

Nothing to do with woodworking but this is something my wife and I have wanted to try, homemade butter. It took about twenty minutes and it is delicious. So fast and so easy, I doubt we'll buy store bought butter again. Also half the cost of store bought. We made it in a Kitchen Aid mixer. 1 quart of heavy whipping cream yielded 12 ounces of butter. Tastes better than store bought by a long shot.
My grandmother used to take cream and put it in a quart canning jar, wrap it in a towel and put it in the agitator washing machine, wedging it into the agitator and turned on the machine with no water. In no time, she had butter! The agitator went back and forth, churning the cream.

MTViper

When I was a kid, we had a milk cow. Since I liked to drink milk and was the oldest son, I got to learn to milk. We skimmed off most of the cream when it cooled and saved it. About once a week we'd make butter - no fancy churn, just a quart sized mayo jar. We'd shake it and shake it and finally it would all come together. A week's worth of cream turned into a half a cup of butter. Good but at the time, didn't seem worth the trouble.

MTViper

My grandmother used to take cream and put it in a quart canning jar, wrap it in a towel and put it in the agitator washing machine, wedging it into the agitator and turned on the machine with no water. In no time, she had butter! The agitator went back and forth, churning the cream.
Wish my mother had thought of that.

sbwertz

What beater did you use? regular beaters or the whisk?

greenacres2

Hmmm, spent the last year thinking of where to get a part-time retirement gig...maybe i could get a job at the local Sherwin-Williams or Ace Hdwe, could use the paint shaker in less busy times!!

RDHals

Just finished making some butter myself per the Kitchen Aid recipe. Note to anyone else making some. A teaspoon of salt, is too much salt. Tastes like salt with a buttery texture.

Top Bottom