Deer Antler Cigar Punch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Had some shed antlers. No deer was harmed. I turned down the ends about 1/4" so as to match the bushings. I left the center natural as rounding it would remove the bark making it appear to be bone. I also like that the shape is natural.
Only one problem that's insignificant but angered me. I like perfection. I've made these before but on this one, the plunger to eject the hole cut from the cigar wouldn't press in all the way. I use a 1/2 ton arbor press, and used a lot of pressure. Any more would have destroyed it. So, there's about a 1/32 inch gap between the plunger and the antler. Not a big deal. I made it for function and it works great. Must be a defective kit, as there is no plausible reason it wouldn't go in further.
Fixin to have a bourbon and light up. Cheers !

Attachments

• 060D97BD-90AD-4777-A3CE-DA01BC39D246.jpeg
    060D97BD-90AD-4777-A3CE-DA01BC39D246.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 120
  • C4BF2CBC-BCC9-4804-B555-2B33E24891AF.jpeg
    C4BF2CBC-BCC9-4804-B555-2B33E24891AF.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 125
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Where did you get this kit? I smoke cigars almost daily, as well do my friends. These would make great Christmas gifts
PSI had them years ago but discontinued them. I got the kits from WOODTURNINGZ
Here's the link….

Note, if you have the bushings for PSI ballpoint Gatsby, they are the correct diameter. Use the bigger ends against the punch. Small ends don't fit inside a 7mm tube. I believe that they are .470
If you prefer, WOODTURNINGZ has the bushings for this kit. If I remember, they have the punch kits in 3 or 4 different finishes. I smoke cigars everyday also. Here's another I made from Kirinite.

Attachments

• 6B4B918D-A7FB-4D41-A612-57FC41B723B2.jpeg
    6B4B918D-A7FB-4D41-A612-57FC41B723B2.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I've never made the cigar punch... don't smoke so not something I would have thought of anyway... I have turned lots of antler though...
matter of fact my first antler pen is one I carry and use regularly...years back when I was still working, I've had to chase many a truck driver down the dock to get my pen back. I don't remember the kit now, it's a twist that originally had a black piece between the nib and the lower barrel... most of the black has worn away after nearly 20 years of use.

BULLWINKLE

I've never made the cigar punch... don't smoke so not something I would have thought of anyway... I have turned lots of antler though...
matter of fact my first antler pen is one I carry and use regularly...years back when I was still working, I've had to chase many a truck driver down the dock to get my pen back. I don't remember the kit now, it's a twist that originally had a black piece between the nib and the lower barrel... most of the black has worn away after nearly 20 years of use.
Antler is a good material to use. Mine were shedded antler found on a friends property.
I've done a few things with buffalo horn. Looks great but smells like burning hair as you turn it. I quit using it as the smell is overpowering.

Gary Beasley

Had some shed antlers. No deer was harmed. I turned down the ends about 1/4" so as to match the bushings. I left the center natural as rounding it would remove the bark making it appear to be bone. I also like that the shape is natural.
Only one problem that's insignificant but angered me. I like perfection. I've made these before but on this one, the plunger to eject the hole cut from the cigar wouldn't press in all the way. I use a 1/2 ton arbor press, and used a lot of pressure. Any more would have destroyed it. So, there's about a 1/32 inch gap between the plunger and the antler. Not a big deal. I made it for function and it works great. Must be a defective kit, as there is no plausible reason it wouldn't go in further.
Fixin to have a bourbon and light up. Cheers !
Other plausible reason is the cut face of the antler where the plunger pressed in was not perfectly flat or had a burr. It works to have a very slight recess in towards the center of the hole so the edge of the pressed piece meets when fully seated. Seating a finial on a lid is similar but the recess is usually made towards the tenon on the finial.

BULLWINKLE

Other plausible reason is the cut face of the antler where the plunger pressed in was not perfectly flat or had a burr. It works to have a very slight recess in towards the center of the hole so the edge of the pressed piece meets when fully seated. Seating a finial on a lid is similar but the recess is usually made towards the tenon on the finial.
Thanks. That's a definite possibility. I've turned several of these before. This is the first time it's not fully seated. Only off about 1/32nd if an inch. Totally insignificant but I tend to be a perfectionist. Your answer is very likely to be correct. I can't think of anything else. Thank you for your reply.

Antler is a good material to use. Mine were shedded antler found on a friends property.
I've done a few things with buffalo horn. Looks great but smells like burning hair as you turn it. I quit using it as the smell is overpowering.
All of my antler were sheds too... I got them from a fellow in East Texas that had an exotic animal farm.... he also ran an "antique" read that as mostly "junque" store and had anj 8 x 10 room off the main store that was piled knee high or higher with various antler sheds. Traded a couple of pens for some on one trip, then went back and laid out good money for a pile.... used as much as I could before we moved to Tennessee and brought the rest with me.... since I've stopped doing pens, I gave my supply to a local friend that is a fabulous pen turner.

BULLWINKLE

All of my antler were sheds too... I got them from a fellow in East Texas that had an exotic animal farm.... he also ran an "antique" read that as mostly "junque" store and had anj 8 x 10 room off the main store that was piled knee high or higher with various antler sheds. Traded a couple of pens for some on one trip, then went back and laid out good money for a pile.... used as much as I could before we moved to Tennessee and brought the rest with me.... since I've stopped doing pens, I gave my supply to a local friend that is a fabulous pen turner.
Giving to a friend was a good thing to do. And they aren't going to waste. I've been turning less and less as time goes on. I give away most my turnings to friends. Keeping the cigar punch though. I like the look of the antler and I smoke (too many) cigars daily.

Top Bottom