Deer Antler Ceiling Fan pull 24KT gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NC Wood Art

NC Wood Art

First attempt at working with deer antler, let me say the drilling is quite tricky! After a few wasted pieces from drilling through the sides where I did not want to I used my pen blank vise & some creative centering methods to keep it straight.

Here's picture of the finished product.

2012-04-20_18-17-24_564.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Very nice. I made several fan pulls several years ago, but never out of antler. I know a few people that would love these. I think I'm going to make some again and try your idea by using antler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

WWAtty

Very nice!

I have thought about making fan/lamp pulls from some of the pen blank scraps I have left over. BTW, where did you get the nice ball chain with the end caps?

AceMrFixIt

Nice job on the pull. I discovered that antler can be straightened out if you boil it and put it in a vice. I have friends in VA and MT and was shocked at the size difference in the antlers they both sent me. I found that drilling antler on the lathe is the best way to do it IMHO.

NC Wood Art

The kits came from PSI. I have also just made some pulls from my scrap pieces of burl. I will try to post a picture of the one I did with amboyna & ebony today.

JohnU

Nice work. Antler chain pulls have gone over very well for me in the past. I usually try to keep them tear drop shaped with some natural antler texture on the side. I use the antler base where it's the thickest. It gives more room for errors when drilling. The thinner points make nice key rings.

NC Wood Art

I thought about leaving some of the natural texture but I thought it would look more "Finished" taken all the way down to the core with just the polished shading of the darker texture. I may do some with just for comparison or to see which others prefer. I only got 1 set of antlers from a work buddy who got the first one I made for the antler's. Now I need to find another hunting friend for same trade :)

JohnU

Check with the local meat lockers that process deer. They usually have a few racks left by the local hunters, or Taxidermists. Also, county deputies that put down road kill, and farmers. Never met a farmer that didnt have antler in the barn from tractor tires hitting them near timber edges. These work in my area. Lol

Top Bottom