Decorating Horse Farms (w/ pic)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey everybody. I'm in the heart of horse country here in Kentucky and I'm lucky enough to have some inroads to some prominent farms. Basically my buddies on these farms know I'm a woodworker and are saying 'show me what ya got.' Secret thing is...I don't really have that much (shhh). Recently I made the garden obelisk pictured below and put it on my buddy's property.

What I'd really like to get into is making things, anything they might want for the farms themselves. Does anyone have pictures or ideas about what kind of ornamental structures would be appropriate for horse farms? I don't imagine I could provide anything actually functional because all that stuff is already covered (I assume) so the best place for me to aim is 'ornamental.' I brought the below pictured obelisk out to my buddy's farm but the only place it looked right was in the house yard.

I'm def open to your suggestions as to what make and entertain my buddies with.

Thanks a ton!

PS. I think I spoke too soon because I've already had someone suggest great things I can make that actually ARE useful to daily operations. I suppose I'm thinking along the lines of something one farm owner would see and think, hey, I want that on my farm. I'm thinking something unique, but anything that would sell works for me.

obelisk.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Hey Bradley
You wrote, "I don't imagine I could provide anything actually functional because all that stuff is already covered" but you're probably wrong.

They can always use another Tack Trunk!

Not a plywood box, a real solid hardwood Tack Trunk with frame and panel construction.
Done right, you'll get $1200 or more and my bet is the farm's boarders will see it and want one too!

I've got 4 on my project backlog using two contrasting woods up in Horse Capital of the World.

Wow thank you so much for letting me know that Gary. I rushed back to my other threads (cause I post in lots of places) and changed my original question to include functional things too. I was thinking that most functional things probably wouldn't stand out that much so I was thinking ornamental. I'm just new to marketing myself so I'll make these mistakes starting off.

How much time and material cost would you estimate your Tack Trunks cost to make?

Also, could you include a picture of yours?

Last edited:
Well Bradley I can think of one thing coming from Kentucky and that's Bourbon. Not part of the outside but pretty nice for the inside. How about a bottle stopper to keep the freshness in the bottle? Check these out. Nothing like a smooth drink after a long day. Just Saying.

Whiskey stoppers 1.jpg

GaryMGg

Hi Bradley

I don't have any pictures right now; I'll take some as I build the new ones.
This photo is a similar design although using black walnut.
I think you can make out the frame and panel construction.

IMG_2538.jpeg

Searching Google for Tack Trunk will give you lots of results, such as:
They have some really good examples.

As to cost, it really depends on numerous factors:
If you have a full set of WW'ing tools (planer, jointer, table saw, routers,…), you can buy timber from a sawmill and mill your own parts. It's much less expensive and, for me, much more enjoyable, to do everything myself.
If you have to buy milled lumber from a big box or even a lumber store, it's more.
For example, the boxes I'm going to make are coming from lumber I bought before covid. I'll figure my materials cost based on the replacement cost NOT what I paid for it.

To figure material costs, make a cut list and determine how many board feet you need to creste the pieces.
For example, if I need 8 2"X24"X1" pieces, I need about 3BF. An 8' long 6" wide 1" thick piece of hardwood is 4BF …
Work the cut list several ways until you figure out an efficient layout. Don't forget to allow for the saw kerf and add plenty for waste—knots, hidden defects, and spare pieces.
Once you figure out how much you need and what species, you can shop for a good price.

One more thought: consider making a rolling base which can be separated OR use locking casters.

You might want to make a small prototype and see if some of the farms are interested. I expect they will be.

Good luck.

Woodchipper

Saddle stand? Storage box as pictured? Trophy or ribbon display or enclosed case? Photo collage of races and/or wins?
Lived in KY for 8 years. Yes, the grass is blue! Never could understand why they ruined good KY bourbon with mint. Mint is for toothpaste.

Top Bottom