December meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Come one, come all!!

Central Arkansas Turners(anyone is welcome).

Date: December 4th 2011
Time: 10am-whenever
Place: 14 Matthews Lane, Cabot, AR 72023
(Cabot, AR is about 19miles northeast of Little Rock, AR)
If you need directions feel free to PM me!

Scott (SDB777) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Here's a teaser....

100_1504.jpg

Everyone that attends this meeting will have the opportunity to leave with a flitch of the above log(I'll have two of them on-hand, so that should be enough....it's bigger then it looks in the photo). I'll have the first log on the 'bunk' and ready.....might need a strong back for the other if it's necessary.

Demo(s):

Woodmizer LT-10 "Making Your Own"
{possibly a group photo with your flitch afterwards}

What other things would ya'll like to do/see demo'd? I do have a Jet 1220VS if someone wants to do a demo there....{I'll just need to clear out a bit of drying slabs in the garage}

It'll be fun, and I would encourage any Arkansas 'turners' or 'woodworkers' to attend!

Scott (SDB777) B

ocsejd

You had to do this when I'm out of town....lol I'm sending a box of stabilized spalted pecan for those that want it.

SDB777

You had to do this when I'm out of town....lol I'm sending a box of stabilized spalted pecan for those that want it.

Just stop by on your way back through from your trip. I'll throw something in the car!:rolleyes:

100_1540.jpg

Maybe something from the scrap pile?

Scott (SDB777) B

thanks, I work in the gas and oil feilds so making the meetings will be a hit and miss thing for me....i am using the internet at work to send msgs to you

SDB777

I have heard from a few of ya'll.....don't be shy! There will be fun and food, demo's and drinks...and free wood!!!

If I happen to run out of wood with that Sweetgum Crotch, I have a fairly good sized piece of Cherry Crotch that can be sliced up pretty quick too!

Remember, if you need directions....shoot me a PM and I can give you my phone number, and then we can get you from where ever you are to here!!

Scott (come on over) B

Knucklefish

SAAAWEEEEEETTTT

Scotty, now that is some serious wood my friend. looking fwd to seeing you on the 4th.
PS.....Bsea called me this am and said he won't make it - has a family issue in TX. I'll be getting the sandwich stuff in his place. Let me know what else I can get.

SDB777

Bringing this one back to the top....about a week remaining!!

If you need directions, you can PM me or just look at my website(under the directions header).

Scott (hope to see a bunch of ya'll) B

SDB777

It might end up being wet....watching the weather really close now, local weather showing 50%+ for wet stuff.

Needless to say, if it's raining, there will still be a meeting. But the demos may be different then what was planned...But some demo's will be done!

Scott (direction via website if you need 'em) B

Knucklefish

Weather Channel sez 20% chance rain for Sat

Just checked Weather Channel. They are saying mostly cloudy with 20% chance for rain on Saturday and 60% for Sunday. Hope they are right!
John

Knucklefish

My bad...

Your're right. I was thinking it was Sat. when I looked at my calendar on my phone and had it on the wrong day. Sorry for any confusion!!!

SDB777

Everytime I look at the forecast for Sunday, it gets worse! 80% rain...ouch!

The mill is in the open(no roof over her yet), and I doubt anyone is wanting to stand in the rain(including me)....

So I'll use the back-up plan if it rains.
*I'll do some cleaning in the computer room, and get together a demo on HDR photography of pens. If you'd like me to run the process through on one or your pens, bottle-stoppers, or small bowl/lidded box....bring it over and we can get that done!

*John will still be doing a demo on the lathe. Closed end pen chuck I believe....

So the day won't be a complete washout! So come on over, it'll be raining and you'll just be stuck in the house anyway!!!

Scott (woohoo, more rain....just what we needed) B

SDB777

Probably should have someone running around with a camera that is taking photo's 'whenever'... Cause I certainly forget to take them while things are happening!

Special thanks to John(aka Knucklefish) for bringing the pin chuck and tool rest to demo the closed end pen! The step-by-step 'tutorial'(for lack of better term) on the lathe produced a wonderful pen....one that the wife will be showing off for many years at work!

Here's a photo(or two) of the turning:
100_1643.jpg

100_1644.jpg

And here's the completed pen using my demo(tutorial):
DSC00778_79_81_tonemapped.jpg

I personally wanted to thank everyone that attended todays meeting...even though the original demo I was to give was rained out...it was still a great learning experience. And now I need to sit down and order some 'goodies'!

Scott (when is the next meeting) B

Last edited:

james1725

Glad to hear y'all had a good meeting. I knew I was goig to be out of town today and there would be no way to make it but I hope you will post the next one so I can attend.

BSea

Glad to hear y'all had a good meeting. I knew I was goig to be out of town today and there would be no way to make it but I hope you will post the next one so I can attend.
Oh no, it's a secret. :biggrin:

Actually, we never did talk about the next meeting, so I guess we need to decide when & where it will be.

Top Bottom