Dayacom Pen Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Has anyone used Dayacom's verticle pen press? Do you like it or not? Comments? On their web site it appears to be robust and professional, but is it worth the money? Does anyone other than Dayacom sell it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I don't know about that one. However, I really like the CSUSA lathe attachment pen press. It was actually recommended to by a shop employee who sold the more traditional lever type. I bought mine because it was inexpensive.

Sandsini

I don't know about that one. However, I really like the CSUSA lathe attachment pen press. It was actually recommended to by a shop employee who sold the more traditional lever type. I bought mine because it was inexpensive.

I've got the same one that I bought for the same reason and can't imagine anything working any better. Cranking the tailstock in gives you an amazing amount of control that I can't imagine with a lever press.

Cmiles1985

I've been using the Milescraft, and love it! I've only put about 100 pens through it, but it works well. I saw someone else show a photo of it mounted to the wall and thought that was absolutely genius! Mine is now mounted to the wall by my wife's poly clay oven (so I have a freshly built shelf to set pen parts on out of reach of my 2 year old!)

Whaler

Here is a picture of my set up that I posted a couple years ago. Bought the press at Woodcraft about 12 years ago and decided that it was in the way on my bench so I hung it on one of the shelf unit legs. Give much better control mounted like this.

Press.jpg

RKB

Do you have to buy 100 of these? MOQ= Minimum Order Quantity? I'm confused by this Dayacom Industrial Co. website. :confused:

If you go to the "Order Now" section of Dayacom's site, you can order just one at $150.00. That's quite a bit of dough for something nobody else here at IAP has ever even tried! I just wish somebody here in the states would offer it for sale and answer some questions about it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you go to the "Order Now" section of Dayacom's site, you can order just one at $150.00. That's quite a bit of dough for something nobody else here at IAP has ever even tried! I just wish somebody here in the states would offer it for sale and answer some questions about it.
I suspect it is an item that doesn't move fast enough for folks to stock them, they take up a lot of room even broken down and in the box.

Tim'sTurnings

Here is a picture of my set up that I posted a couple years ago. Bought the press at Woodcraft about 12 years ago and decided that it was in the way on my bench so I hung it on one of the shelf unit legs. Give much better control mounted like this.

Press.jpg

Whaler, that's the same press I have that I bought at Woodcraft a few years ago and it works great. I never thought of connecting it to a vertical surface, but I think I might try to find an empty space on my shop/garage wall and connect it. (Better than connecting it to my workbench every time I need it. After making room for it).
Tim.

brownsfn2

It is interesting that it say "patent pending" on their website. Am I missing something? What is original about their design? Just the fact that they mount it vertically?

plano_harry

I am not seeing any advantage over a $45 Milescraft mounted vertically. A couple of points for the Milescraft - no spacers to keep track of, just flip them into position. Second, if you make a lot of pens where the transmission seat depth is critical, the MilesCraft has a fine adjustable upper piston that can be set to always give 3.95" stop position or whatever you need. Plus I think the spring preload is helpful for holding the pen in place without risk of it falling over. Otherwise very similar design and function.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It is interesting that it say "patent pending" on their website. Am I missing something? What is original about their design? Just the fact that they mount it vertically?
Remember they are a Taiwanese Company and would most likely be talking about Taiwanese ano/or Chinese Patents which would not be valid in the USA. They hold a lot of Taiwanese Patents on their kits also....keeps people in Taiwan from importing competitors products.

On another note I just looked at the CSUSA Ultimate Assembly Press for $20.00 works on the lathe and I think I'm gonna get one of those.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Press.jpg

Whaler, that's the same press I have that I bought at Woodcraft a few years ago and it works great. I never thought of connecting it to a vertical surface, but I think I might try to find an empty space on my shop/garage wall and connect it. (Better than connecting it to my workbench every time I need it. After making room for it).
Tim.

I attached the same press to a 4x4 and then clamp it in my vise - vertical when making pens. When I need the vice for other things I just set the 4x4 aside. Vertical is much easier in my opinion!! After seeing Whaler's organization I am hesitant to post pictures!

Top Bottom