Damnest Thing I've Seen....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

A while back I read on the forum about soaking the wood Wenge in Chlorox to make it change. Recently I had a chance to pick up some Wenge from a local hardwood dealer and so tonight I cut a small piece to try the bleach.

Well, I was not expecting such results. This is the damnest wood. I can't wait to turn pens, bowls and make other flatware projects using this wood. Take a look at what 1 hour in Chlorox has done to the wood on the right. The other piece is how it was bought. Take a look, it is very interesting.

And thanks to whoever wrote that note about the wood. And thanks to Mrs. Foster, the teacher who taught me to read.

Attachments

• bleached wenge.jpg
    bleached wenge.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 371
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Now that is cool looking. Cann't wait for the pictures of some finished product.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't recall the original post and I understand your picture was just a test; but it is entirely possible that the Clorox soak will have to be done after the piece is turned to final size and shape or the effect may be milled off of the blank??

leehljp

Member Liaison
It may not be that white all the way through, but I bet it is white very deep. I have a wenge board 2" X 3" X 18" inches and that thing is porous!

GoodTurns

I have bleached Holly that wasn't quite white enough...had to re-soak a couple of times while turning but it turned out very nice....I will definitely try the wenge, great contrast!

I've soaked antler in both clorox and peroixide... never bleached any wood though... I think I'm out of pen kits since I've cut back a little on making pens, but I like the contrast on the Wenge and will have to try that pretty soon.

OldWrangler

For those who asked, the penetration of the bleached color is very slight. A good sanding and the original brown color returns. I have just turned a Wenge blank and the tubes are soaking in chlorox now. The tubes were sanded to 8000 and will only need finishing when they dry. I'll post a pic of what the pen looks like.

bitshird

Paul Clorox shouldn't have much effect on the glue, but I think it might encourage and speed up oxidation on the insides of the tube, maybe a green oxide coating like slat water does to brass. maybe cleaning the inside of the tubes with an oily Q-tip or even a rifle cleaning patch with oil on it might prevent that though.

Last edited:

OldWrangler

She didn't teach you how to spell damnedest though. :)

First graders didn't have much use for words like that but looks like now my education is complete.

Here are some more answers.....The pen was turned to final size and given a polishing to 8000MM. Then a CA/BLO finish. This wood doesn't take a really good polish but the CA finish helped a lot. The soaking of the turned blanks did nothing to the glue or the tube. The wet blanks we allowed to dry in the sun for an hour and then assembled into a chrome RT Euro. Everything went together as normal. Only difference was the lightening of the wood. The Wenge pen I made that was not soaked only got darker with the CA/BLO finish and lost most of it's character. The grain was not prominent and it might as well have been Ebony. The one soaked in bleach has a color and grain that just pops!!

And here is the finished product.

Attachments

• wenge pen.jpg
    wenge pen.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 159

jkeithrussell

First graders didn't have much use for words like that but looks like now my education is complete.

Glad to be of service! You guys in Spring should start getting cold in another hour or so. There is a 20+ degree temp difference between Huntsville and Conroe right now.

Cheers.

OldWrangler

Hey Skye,

This was just an experiment and I didn't want to waste a good kit if the wood looked bad. Next bleached Wenge will be a Baron kit. I think I only have gold kits, maybe it will look OK.

Hey Keith,

Temp has dropped 20 degrees since I finished that pen this afternoon. They are calling for 37 tonight. Will have to stoke up the heater in the shop tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

JayDevin

I have done this process and it works best to turn the pen just a hare Larger than you want.... soak in the bleach for the coloring you want. rinse and let dry then turn to size and finish. it is a stunning look , I think worth the time and effort.

Top Bottom