Damn, that a bunch of blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Its been a while guys......

Well, I finally am making headway into getting my shop back in order. Was straightening and sorting and came across my blank stash, then more...and more.

There is everything here from experimental castings, to top grade Amboyna and African blackwood burl. Glitter blanks and a herringbone mosaic blank I got from someone and even a piece of zitan. The accumulated haul of better than 10 years.

Now I have to sort them and decide what to do with them. My interest in pen turning has faded.
20200924_222108.jpg
20200924_222103.jpg
20200924_222139.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome back Mike; long time no see. Hope your interest in pen increases.
What have you been doing lately? Where has your interests drifted? I would enjoy hearing from you.

Russianwolf

Welcome back Mike; long time no see. Hope your interest in pen increases.
What have you been doing lately? Where has your interests drifted? I would enjoy hearing from you.
Hey Lee,
mostly been working the day job. Celebrating my 13th year next month.

What have I been up to in the shop. Not much other than collecting tools. My basement/shop flooded a few years back and I had to redo basically everything. Nearly three inches of water in 900 square feet is a LOT of water. Built walls, ran new wiring, new lights, you name it. All built such that the next flood (I'm not naive enough to think it won't happen at some point, the last time was the sump pump dying.) will be minimal impact. So nothing on the floor that isn't treated. Walls have a treated 2x4 on edge at the bottom of all walls, so 3.5 inches before it can hit the wall material.

But I've gotten into more of a machining/welding interest. and possibly jewelry. My interests have always swung around to different things, so for me its "do I have the tools needed to do the next idea?"

Right now, I working on building a granulator basically. I purchased a cutting head that I think will work, now I'm building the mechanical parts, then I'll build the housing.
s-l1600.jpg

I'm sorting reorganizing everything in the shop right now so that I can get things set back up.

Also bought a Shapeoko 3XL... more to learn and do. HAve to make room to set it up.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Good to hear from you again. I'm still doing more woodworking (flat work) than pens, but do turn various things regularly. But I'm spending more time fixing different things on this old house for the possibility of selling it and moving in 3 or 4 years. I've been welding off and on since I was in Jr. High school, mainly on dad's farm fixing broken machines. I enjoy welding and need to get an aluminum welder. Sure could use that.

Tell us what you are going to do with all of those pen blanks. Would love to see some pens from them.

Russianwolf

Good to hear from you again. I'm still doing more woodworking (flat work) than pens, but do turn various things regularly. But I'm spending more time fixing different things on this old house for the possibility of selling it and moving in 3 or 4 years. I've been welding off and on since I was in Jr. High school, mainly on dad's farm fixing broken machines. I enjoy welding and need to get an aluminum welder. Sure could use that.

Tell us what you are going to do with all of those pen blanks. Would love to see some pens from them.
Well, if,as I suspect, I'm not going to turn them, I need to get them into the hands of folks that will. I didn't get to them today, but hopefully I'll have something to offer folks in the near future to remove them from my shop.

Top Bottom