Cypress Bowl from (Robutacion)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

On the 15th January I posted two smaller Cypress bowls here and this is the outer piece of that same blank. It has caused me considerable problems which I blame on the Oil?? content in the wood.
I have trouble using Shellawax on larger pieces so decided to use Wipe On Poly to finish this off. 3 weeks after the first application it was still very sticky, so I left it a while longer and eventually was able to sand the WOP off.:mad:
It is now finished with Satin Gloss Lacquer.
This bowl measures 11in x 5in.
I absolutely love the grain in this wood. Luckily there are several more blanks in my stash.:biggrin::biggrin:
Hope you like it and Thanks for looking.
C & C welcome.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 237

robutacion

Hi Bob,

It did turn out absolutely stunning, the surface looks as smooth as a baby's bottom...!:wink::biggrin:

That larger piece grain did endup being very faithful to the round bowl blank, as I remember it, those lines are very distinct and beautiful.

What you call oil, on these type woods, I call it resin or sap, they can bleed pretty bad sometimes, even after the piece has been finished/varnished, I'm surprised that, you didn't seem to have that finish problem, on the other 2 bowls you got out of that blank but, on the other hand, is not totally a surprise either, the resin/sap exists in higher concentrations closer to the wood outer skin, that is also directly related to the darker and more pronounced grain lines and knots that you see on that piece, compared to the other pieces.

In the end, it was a great utilisation of that blank that, and as you already mentioned, you have a few more from the same tree and at the same size so, will be interesting to see, how the other blanks will turn out...!

Love your work, congrats...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom