Cutting open and sorting so many small baggies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

About once a year I buy 200-300 pen kits. As you know, each comes with those "sub" baggies... which also need to be opened.
I've asked suppliers if there's an option to buy kits in bulk packaging, to save the waste but also the time it takes to open them all. So far I haven't gotten any positive responses.
I usually wind up spending a boring evening "unpacking" everything so I have all the parts ready when I want them.

This year, to shave a few seconds off the task, I designed and 3d printed this simple bag cutter to hang on a small side table.
I clipped a razor blade to the inside which freed up both hands. It actually sped the process up considerably.
With 200 kits to prep, all 1000 bags were sliced open and parts sorted while listening to about 4 innings of baseball. šŸ¤£

230501.01.jpg

230501.08.jpg

230501.07.jpg

Repackaged
230501.05.jpg

I'm attaching the *.obj file ("cutter.obj") in case it's helpful to anyone else.

Thanks for looking,
- Cullen

Attachments

• 230501.02.jpg
    230501.02.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 230501.03.jpg
    230501.03.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 230501.04.jpg
    230501.04.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 74
  • cutter.obj
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I do make about that many each year. I've developed processes to minimize tasks I don't enjoy... like cutting open so many plastic bags. Then I can spend more time on what I enjoy most... like turning.
It surprises me how many pens I can give away in a year! That's one of the reasons I try to keep it fun, and affordable. For instance, I volunteer with the Boy Scouts and we're just finishing up a training course for adults (called Wood Badge) with an exceptional staff of about 24. Whenever I staff these types of courses, I put out the pens at the closing dinner and invite everyone to select one. I always try to have a wide range of woods, shapes and styles available.
If I do this type of thing 6 times a year, plus Christmas gifts, plus gifts for my wife's co-workers... it can add up to a lot of pens quickly.
1.jpg

Mach4

Now that's cool! I like how you protected the blade to prevent unwanted cuts. Very elegant and something I'll be implementing soon. I do tons of .308 bullet pens I likewise give away so this will make the bulk assembly process a lot nicer.

Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom