Cutting Male Threads Under Power Using Dies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

New YouTube video from Joe Pieczynski on cutting threads with dies under power. Probably not particularly applicable for making pens since we rarely make threads long enough to justify using power, but quite good nonetheless.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Sometime during the last couple of weeks, there was another thread on threading (ugh!).. There was some disagreement among the posters about the need for reversing the die. This video addresses that subject directly, and shows very clearly that a threading die will produce a tapered thread. It also shows that there are two ways to eliminate that taper - either make the thread longer so that the portion that will actually be used will be straight, or else reverse the die and run the piece back through the die.

magpens

It is good for you to point out this fact, Louie.
To some, with less mechanical intuition, or, perhaps, with less experience, the revelation of the tapering may come as a little bit of a surprise.
To others, the unexpected is almost always expected.

Extremely good video ... excellent instructor ... great photography !!

Last edited:

bmachin

You're right about Joe's talents as a teacher Mal. All of his videos are first rate. It's also worth mentioning that he is a wizard at making mechanical puzzles and in fact is in the Guiness Book of World Records for building the world's largest. There is a video on his channel showing it and several others.

This video show all but the big one:

Bill

Last edited:

magpens

@bmachin

Bill, thanks for starting this thread. . It is very interesting and helpful to know about Joe.

I am totally amazed at these puzzles of his ... and I like puzzles !!

randyrls

It also shows that there are two ways to eliminate that taper - either make the thread longer so that the portion that will actually be used will be straight, or else reverse the die and run the piece back through the die.

To join the thread; It may be that taper is a good thing for our purposes..... Many moons ago there was a problem with the Baron Fountain pens with them un-screwing in one's pocket. Messy! There were several suggested solutions including using a soldering iron to "mess" up the threads near the base, or applying something to the inside of the center band. This increased the friction of the threads prevented the un-screwing problem. I believe at the time the manufacturer made some minor changes to the center band.

PS. I am subscribed to Joe's channel. Lots of good info there.

Top Bottom