Cutting boards at shows

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbarton22

sbarton22

Do any of you sell cutting boards?

I took my first set to a show and they wouldn't stop sweating oil. Maybe I over oiled them? Basically, they really did it in direct sunlight, which is something I could not control.

I think understand WHY they sweat, but I don't know what to do about it. Should I use less oil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

What kind of oil???

I use walnut oil (Mahoney and Doctors - not the grocery store kind) and after about two days, it is not an fluid --

Mineral oil never dries and with pores and heat will oooozzzzzeeee out

jd99

+1 on Mahoney's oil, I use it on my cutting boards, and candy trays, I also use it some times on the band saw boxes i make.

I also use the wax after several coats of mahoneys, and buffing.
Never had a sweating issue after it has dried.

raar25

What wood are they made from? I use a mineral oil/beeswax/carnuba wax from Howard and it works great no sweating. Note, I put it on hot in several coats and it never really drys so the surface is a little oily to the touch.

sbarton22

I generally use basic domestics...maple, walnut and cherry. I find the walnut doesn't sweat at all but the maple looked like a fountain.

When you say several coats, how are you applying it? Just a swipe with a rag? Do you soak them?

I really flood them. Perhaps that is where I am going wrong.

raar25

I heat the oil in the microwave till it is very thin and wipe on a generous coating and let it sit for 20 minutes than I wipe off the excess. I do this 2-3 times. I make my boards out of brazilian cherry and maple and so far the only thing sweating at craft shows is me!

mmayo

Take mineral oil, heat it in a double boiler and add pure beeswax at a ratio of 12-15 parts oil to 1 part wax. When the wax is completely dissolved pour into plastic bottles. When cooled it should be almost as viscous as vasoline. Apply liberally with a paper towel several times over an hour to raw wood. Be sure every mm gets plenty. Wipe with a dry paper towel and sell.

I now sell more than 10 bottles of this every month, more at Christmas. Oil of any kind without lots of wax is far less protective IMO.

mmayo

We sold 8 bottles 4-4 oz and 4-8 oz yesterday at a craft fair. Many folks that bought the larger bottles were repeat customers.

Top Bottom