Cutting Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

I always make my wife her birthday present every year. Usually, something turned. But I've also made different kinds of boxes for her... shelving... bookshelves...etc. After we moved here last August, she mentioned several times wanting a couple of bigger cutting boards actually made of wood. (we've got those plastic kinds). Well, I'm getting one done for Friday (her birthday).

21" x 12.25"
Walnut
Purple Heart
Hard Maple

Currently getting oil up and it is sucking it up. The Walnut has been sitting and air-drying for 10 years. A guy in the church and I traded... I got two big slabs of walnut and he (his wife) got three bowls I made. Whenever this thing is done being oiled. I'll wax it up with my special wax I make.

Attachments

• 00001e.jpg
    00001e.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 00001a.jpg
    00001a.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 00001b.jpg
    00001b.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 00001c.jpg
    00001c.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 00001d.jpg
    00001d.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 00001f.jpg
    00001f.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Very cool. I should do something like that. We use the plastic kind too. I made a nice wooden one for one of my sons a couple of years ago out of hickory, walnut, purple heart, and some yellow species, canary wood maybe. - Dave

Jans husband

I always make my wife her birthday present every year. Usually, something turned. But I've also made different kinds of boxes for her... shelving... bookshelves...etc. After we moved here last August, she mentioned several times wanting a couple of bigger cutting boards actually made of wood. (we've got those plastic kinds). Well, I'm getting one done for Friday (her birthday).

21" x 12.25"
Walnut
Purple Heart
Hard Maple

Currently getting oil up and it is sucking it up. The Walnut has been sitting and air-drying for 10 years. A guy in the church and I traded... I got two big slabs of walnut and he (his wife) got three bowls I made. Whenever this thing is done being oiled. I'll wax it up with my special wax I make.
Reminds me that a few years ago I joked with the chap at the garage that the tyre I was buying was my wife's birthday present.
He said "I bet she can't wait for Christmas"

Mike

That cutting board is beautiful. What oil are you soaking it in?
I just finished a cutting board and I am using the Milk Paint Half and Half. Hope that's good stuff. My son bought it and he does exhaustive research, so I think it will be. First side of board looks good so far. I am going to use mineral oil/beeswax when it is all soaked up with the above. I understand the "not using it cuz it's too pretty". When I am done I will start a thread and post some pics. I didn't take any during the build.

Mike

PreacherJon

That cutting board is beautiful. What oil are you soaking it in?
I just finished a cutting board and I am using the Milk Paint Half and Half. Hope that's good stuff. My son bought it and he does exhaustive research, so I think it will be. First side of board looks good so far. I am going to use mineral oil/beeswax when it is all soaked up with the above. I understand the "not using it cuz it's too pretty". When I am done I will start a thread and post some pics. I didn't take any during the build.

Mike
Thank you. I soak them in Mineral Oil. After the dry and are wiped down. I use my own paste which consist of, 16 oz of Mineral Oil, 2 oz of pure beeswax and 1 oz of pure carnauba wax.

Attachments

• Wax.jpg
    Wax.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 34

Mike

I just PMd mmayo asking about obtaining some of his wax. I only have the wood cutting board I am working on and a few charcuterie boards, so I don't need enough to mess with making it.
Is there a list or forum on here with a list of member websites where they sell stuff? I understand this is not a place for commercials, but member names and links to their sites might be nice. Of course, there could be a good reason for not doing it as well.

Mike

Mike

I made my wife a cutting board a couple of years back from Ambrosia Maple... it's beautiful.... she won't use it, says it's too pretty to use... it's now a decor item in the kitchen.... we still use the plastic ones.
We have a couple plastics we made from lexan. Use them a lot. no maintenance, easy to clean. I am sure they dull our knives quicker, but I have a sharpener.

Mike

jttheclockman

I just PMd mmayo asking about obtaining some of his wax. I only have the wood cutting board I am working on and a few charcuterie boards, so I don't need enough to mess with making it.
Is there a list or forum on here with a list of member websites where they sell stuff? I understand this is not a place for commercials, but member names and links to their sites might be nice. Of course, there could be a good reason for not doing it as well.

Mike
https://www.penturners.org/threads/web-sites.179121/

darrin1200

Mike

Top Bottom