Cutting board conditioner!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I was ordering more mineral oil for my cutting board conditioner. It said I've ordered 23 gallons to date! That means I've sold 23 gallons of it to date. It works and my customers love it. I get consistently repeat customs. It has two ingredients: mineral oil and organic beeswax. We sell it in 4 ounce and 8 ounce bottles.

I'll mix some this week and provide exact measurements for you.

Attachments

• 0B9EDDC0-C06D-42B8-AC65-1A38E4F36A1B.jpeg
    0B9EDDC0-C06D-42B8-AC65-1A38E4F36A1B.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 91
  • E838EA8F-DB8F-4B5A-A0DD-2C484D3889F5.jpeg
    E838EA8F-DB8F-4B5A-A0DD-2C484D3889F5.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 97
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I was ordering more mineral oil for my cutting board conditioner. It said I've ordered 23 gallons to date! That means I've sold 23 gallons of it to date. It works and my customers love it. I get consistently repeat customs. It has two ingredients: mineral oil and organic beeswax. We sell it in 4 ounce and 8 ounce bottles.

try using half carnauba and half beeswax;works fine for me, cheers

rherrell

I made just one cutting board for myself, I use the same formula for making my conditioner. I made a Mason's jar full about 10 years ago and it barely has a dent in it. I sand and condition my board once a year so I have enough conditioner to last me two lifetimes.

Charlie_W

My Wonderful Wifey makes up our mineral oil/beeswax blend for boards and out other treenware including my turned stirring spatulas and carved spoons.

EricRN

Nice. Would love to hear your proportions. I tend to make two products for my cutting boards. I've got an oil that I make using fractionated coconut oil to which I mix in a small amount of Vitamin E and orange essential oil. I then use a portion of that oil mix to which I mix beeswax and carnuba wax. The Vitamin E and orange essential oils add a little bit of antimicrobial resistance and give the oil and wax a nice scent.

MedWoodWorx

Nice. Would love to hear your proportions. I tend to make two products for my cutting boards. I've got an oil that I make using fractionated coconut oil to which I mix in a small amount of Vitamin E and orange essential oil. I then use a portion of that oil mix to which I mix beeswax and carnuba wax. The Vitamin E and orange essential oils add a little bit of antimicrobial resistance and give the oil and wax a nice scent.
the problem with these oils is that they go rancid sooner or later, thus become a bit smelly. Mineral oil (food grade) is inert and if combined with waxes (beeswax, carnauba, candelila etc.) makes an ideal conditioner for boards. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties but there is no use for them on a chopping board. Bare in mind that an edge grain cutting board is considered more food safe (it inhibits microbial growth) than synthetic materials and is also better for your knives (they remain sharp for longer).
I ll give another recipe that we make at the pharmacy: use olive oil (extra virgin olive oil has vit E as well as antioxidants) and beeswax at a ration of 3:1 and you have a terrific moisturising hand cream. Cheers

Woodchipper

MedWoodWorx, wood is indeed anti-bacterial but restaurants aren't allowed to use them due to possibility of wood particles in food as a result of cutting on a wood surface. However, health inspectors will deduct points for a synthetic cutting board because of excessive grooves/cuts in the surface...which harbor bacteria. Even with scrubbing and sanitizing, the health inspector errs on the side of caution as they aren't present to watch. My wife was director of a private day care and had to deal with health inspectors.

MedWoodWorx

MedWoodWorx, wood is indeed anti-bacterial but restaurants aren't allowed to use them due to possibility of wood particles in food as a result of cutting on a wood surface. However, health inspectors will deduct points for a synthetic cutting board because of excessive grooves/cuts in the surface...which harbor bacteria. Even with scrubbing and sanitizing, the health inspector errs on the side of caution as they aren't present to watch. My wife was director of a private day care and had to deal with health inspectors.
i didn't know that; i was talking about casual home use. I suppose that eating tiny bits of wood is much better than teflon imho. Also wooden boards can easily be sanded and become like new again unlike syntjetic boards. I guess that rules will change soon as we learn more about pfas and the other so called forever chemicals..at least let's hope so.

Woodchipper

Synthetic cutting boards are made from polyethylene, if I recall. BTW, sold restaurant supplies and never saw a Teflon coated saute (frying) pan in the kitchen.

MedWoodWorx

Synthetic cutting boards are made from polyethylene, if I recall. BTW, sold restaurant supplies and never saw a Teflon coated saute (frying) pan in the kitchen.
Polyethylene also can contain pfas as non stick paper and a myriad other cooking items. Professional cooks don't like teflon coatings because they come out with scrubbing and rough use. Only stuff like cast iron, glass, clay etc.are properly food safe. Everything else is qualified as food safe according to material migration. That means that the plastic from the tray leaches to the food at an acceptable level

mmayo

Ok a bit tardy but what I mix is as follows.

1/2 cup wax pellets
4 cups or 32 ounces of mineral oil
(Perhaps a tiny bit more oil to completely fill 4-8 ounce or 8-4 ounce bottles)

I dissolve the wax in a double boiler until uniform. Wear gloves when handling the hot mixture.

Last edited:

mmayo

A great selling point is two ingredients: food grade mineral oil and organic beeswax PERIOD. Customers respond well.

Top Bottom