Cutting blanks and tubes in small shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnKC

Hello everyone. I have a real shop up in the garage with a table saw and band saw, but I don't want to go upstairs and back downstairs each time I need to do a small cut. I'm curious to see what some of you have done in your smaller shops? Have you used anything like this? Rockwell BladeRunner Portable? I also saw the small cut off saw Harbor Freight, what about that? Just trying to see what else is out there. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My question to you would be, what do you do when you have these pieces?? Just because you cut them, now you need a lathe or a drill press to drill the blanks. You need a lathe to turn them. I do not see the advantage of the tool you are asking about when you have a complete shop. Those type tools to me are toys. The accuracy is not there. But to make small quick cuts I am sure they will do that. To me if you have a nice complete shop I would spend the money on a tool that would benefit you in the shop. Just my opinion.:):)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I understand your situation with a Basement Work area and a Garage work area.

I have most of my equipment in the basement, except for a large table saw and band saw. And it is certainly inconvenient to go to the garage when needed.

However, I have a small table top Byrnes Saw in the basement, so for many cuts up to 15/16" that is fine. But this is an expensive machine, and has limitations. If you have good equipment in your garage shop, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the two you linked.

greenacres2

Band saws, table saw, RAS, sanders are all out in the unheated detached garage. If i'm only cutting one blank, i use the human powered miter box pictured below so i don't have to run outside. Kerf is a little wider than my band saw, so if it's a two-barrel pen i take the time to go out to the shop to minimize the grain pattern disruption.
earl

Attachments

• Miter Box.jpg
    Miter Box.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 191

cozee

Fortunately, my whole basement is pretty much my shop so I do not have to go far. I have the choice of several saws but currently though, I dug an old Craftsman 7" table saw out of my old "arn" stash (one of my other addictions!) that I am setting up for pen blank work only. 60t, thin kerf, carbide tipped blade and will be using a motor off of a treadmill so that I can have a variable speed saw. When i need to cut just brass tubes and cartridge casings, I use the Harbor Freight 2" mini bench top cut-off saw. Never had an issue with it.

Top Bottom