Cutting and Trimming Feather Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My Guinea Fowl feather pen blank from Penn State Industries just arrived, but I don't know the best way to cut and trim it. I'm making a single tube Majestic Squire pen, and I want to make sure that the blank is the perfect length. So, what would you recommend for the best way to cut and trim these blanks without breaking them? Also, any turning tips would be greatly appreciated! (so far, the closest I've come to turning epoxy or acrylic is a hybrid mallee burl pen blank)

JohnU

I'm not sure whats the best way to cut it, but I would suggest leaving it long and sanding it to your desired length on a disc sander of some sort or setup. Then, seal the ends with thin CA. Feathers are hollow and moisture and dust from sanding can wick in. I'm guessing f they are cast in polyresin so use what your comfortable turning with. Just don't get them too hot while sanding or you risk the resin softening and falling away from the feathers. If you have any problems with it let me know and I'll make you one already to size on a squire tube. Good luck!

I'm not sure whats the best way to cut it, but I would suggest leaving it long and sanding it to your desired length on a disc sander of some sort or setup. Then, seal the ends with thin CA. Feathers are hollow and moisture and dust from sanding can wick in. I'm guessing f they are cast in polyresin so use what your comfortable turning with. Just don't get them too hot while sanding or you risk the resin softening and falling away from the feathers. If you have any problems with it let me know and I'll make you one already to size on a squire tube. Good luck!
Thank you for the offer! The pen turned out great, I'll be posting it soon on the forum. I cut the blank with a hacksaw and trimmed it with a small belt sander. Turning it was a way different experience than turning wood, but it wasn't too difficult. Sanding went great, and I made sure not to heat up the blank. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom