Cutting Acrylic Blanks on a Table Saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cartaphilus

I want to cut some acrylic pen blanks into thin ribbons to make segmented pens. Can I do this on a table saw, and if so, what kind of blade would I use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I use a skill saw blade with a .060" kerf, here's a link to the one I have...

Freud Blade

I've never cut "ribbons", I assume you mean VERY thin cuts lengthwise.

I recommend using a sled when cutting small pieces, if for no other reason than to keep all your fingers. Here's one I made that works well...

sleds 003.jpg

Last edited:

Todd in PA

I make ribbons by simply pouring the resin onto a white plastic cutting board in a big puddle. I use a hair dryer to spread it out thinly. When it cures you can cut it into strips, and warm it up to bend it.

I know that was not your question, but an alternate way to get ribbons, in case you didn't consider it. I think that cutting thin strips from a block is going to produce 75% waste.

Cartaphilus

I use a skill saw blade with a .060" kerf, here's a link to the one I have...

Freud Blade

I've never cut "ribbons", I assume you mean VERY thin cuts lengthwise.

I recommend using a sled when cutting small pieces, if for no other reason than to keep all your fingers. Here's one I made that works well...

View attachment 342801
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did mean very thin cuts lengthwise. My table saw is a 10 inch, but I'm going to assume what's important is the kerf and tooth count and set. I'm sure I can find a 10" blade that matches your spec. Very nice looking sled, by the way. Makes my shop made sled look quite primitive!

jttheclockman

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did mean very thin cuts lengthwise. My table saw is a 10 inch, but I'm going to assume what's important is the kerf and tooth count and set. I'm sure I can find a 10" blade that matches your spec. Very nice looking sled, by the way. Makes my shop made sled look quite primitive!
You can also use a 7-1/4" blade that you can get even thinner so that the waste is less. Just need to make sure the jig you make compensates for the lower height of the entire blade.

Top Bottom