Cut A Few More Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Cut a few more rings out this afternoon and was admiring and appreciating how good that magnetic cutter alignment tool works .
I was able to get pretty close previously using a steel straightedge ruler to have the cutters meet in the middle with no overlap or very little ridge to sand out But it usually took several tries to get it right . Now with the magnetic tool it makes it quick , easy and accurate .

Here are the rings exactly as I cut them out and stacked them up as I went. They are just setting there dry with no glue applied yet . Should be very little sanding to do on those four .

Of course they all started out as just a flat segmented board .

Seeing as these are segmented bowls I will be putting a one piece layer of wood on the bottom of each one which might help with any wood movement between the two different kinds of wood over the years.

4segmented2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

OH man..., you are getting all sophisticated with those bowls...!:eek::biggrin:

I was going to make a comment about the "alignments" but I then realised that, they haven't been glued yet, then I saw you mentioning the " magnetic cutter alignment tool", never heard of it nor I yet done a search to find out what it is but, I can see what you mean about its accuracy, great stuff...!

What are you going to do with yourself if you find a tool system that you don't have to do any turning or sending...???? you will be board $h!tless...!:biggrin:

Great work...!

Cheers
George

W.Y.

Thank you, this is great stuff. Almost makes me want to stop turning pens and go to bowls

I did that long time ago . Way too many got into turning pens and spoiled the market in many areas.
These bowls are made from a flat board whether one solid piece or laminated or segmented.

I have hogged out the insides of hundreds of bowls from big blocks of wood. Hard on tools and standing ankle deep in shavings and poor sellers.

These bowls , on the other hand , are made from a flat board and are so unique in contrast that they sell very well and the competition is practically nil. About a cup full of small shavings to turn a board into a bowl.
There are no kits to buy . I do buy a small amount of wood but mostly I get logs from local tree surgeons for free and mill down my own lumber.

W.Y.

Nice bowls Bill...Should be great sellers

I miss yr fourm...can't seem to log in

We miss seeing your big fish catches there too :wink: .
Should be no problem logging in Bob . The site changed to a whole new format a while ago but most members had no problem at all switching over. Send me a PM and I will see if I can help.

I just now finished posting a 14 picture tutorial with commentary between each one on my Ringmaster Lathe Turning board to show how to put a decorative no hole foot on the underside of one of those bowls.

W.Y.

This is how I get my free wood for making Ringmaster bowls .

Pouring Rain all day but I went out anyway with chainsaw and cut those logs into pre band sawing state and took them in the shop and cut them all into 1" boards . Ends are all sealed with anchoseal so with the way I have them clamped I am expecting better luck than I have ever had before with orchard cherry which is famous for warping and twisting .

I wiped a little mineral spirits on a few just to show the beautiful color and grain pattern in that wood .

I will be tightening the clamps down every few days as I walk past that stack . NO room left in my shop so they are going onto my open porch with a roof over it.

They say we never have enough clamps . Think I have that stack clamped well enough ? . .. lol . . .

W.Y.

WOW! Wish I could do that...

I think pretty well anyone could with a few shop tools .

But I just realized that I put the cart before the horse because I forgot that I had not showed how those cherry logs started out on this particular site . A neighbour in town had called and asked if I wanted some logs from some cherry orchard trees he was cutting down.
I get lots of calls like that so only took a few . He would have given me a truck load if I wanted because he was bulldozing out over an acre of cherry orchard.

Here is what those boards looked like when I brought them home .

Fishinbo

Wonderful bowls! Like the beautiful patterns and wood color combo. I'm sure they will sell well. Jealous with your cherry logs, looking forward to more projects.

W.Y.

Finally got back in the shop and got some log sawing and other stuff out of the way before finishing these 4 bowls off.
Shop was 55 degrees this morning and the spraying of lacquer did not go well at that temperature. Don't try that at home . .lol . . Had to sand the first coat down and start over .
After 4 hours with a heater on it was up to 70 degrees and sprayed three coats of semi gloss WB lacquer .
Diameter on those four varies from 8.5" to 9.5"

W.Y.

bulldozing ??????

You sure do know how to make a grown man cry.

Yes , they bulldoze acres of aging ones up into big piles and burn them when they are not producing as well . There are thousands of acres of cherries in the valley and too much for the market. Most of the cherries from here go to China , Japan , Taiwan etc. . They can or freeze or dry them and send them back to us in the stores . Go figure .
The farmer that cleaned out this bunch is planting grapes in their place.

Top Bottom