Customized pen - hybred 7mm and 8mm barrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

This pen is made with components from a PSI Flattop with 8MM top barrel and twist mechanism, but with a 7mm tube in the lower barrel. The finial and the nib are customized from PSI's synthetic burl blank and the main barrels are from a PSI blank as well.

I made a pen similar to this last spring but this one has different material for the finial, nib and center band, and a more streamlined lower barrel.

1_Pen719.JPG

1_Pen719a.JPG

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How did you attach the 8mm transmission to the 7mm lower tube? I have done lower bodies where I used an 8mm tube in one end and a smaller tube in the other Step drilling the blank to fit. That allowed me to use the 8mm tranny and a 7/32 tube for a very small nose cone on the end.

hilltopper46

The design looks cool, any way to see a bigger picture?

I'll try - this might be a little larger...

Pen719.JPG

How did you attach the 8mm transmission to the 7mm lower tube? I have done lower bodies where I used an 8mm tube in one end and a smaller tube in the other Step drilling the blank to fit. That allowed me to use the 8mm tranny and a 7/32 tube for a very small nose cone on the end.

I found that I could drill the bottom end of the coupler enough to insert the 7mm tube into it. I did put a small step into the top of the bottom barrel that the coupler kinda fits into, but most of the coupler sits inside the center band. I did reduce the diameter of the coupler considerable.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thank you Tony I hadnt considered sliding the tube into the coupler and recessing the whole thing.

Top Bottom