Custom Watermans Patrician

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PFMan

PFMan

Hello,

that was a real challenge. Customer (a good friend that always ask to do something 'else'..) wanted a Patrician to add to his collection. He had a Watermans Patrician Nib (Watermans Patrician is one of the best fountain pens ever made) and nothing else. So we had to do the clip and the ring (3D printer and cast a new silver ones), built a new feeder and find a new (and similar) lever filler). After weeks of work.. we did that from japanese ebonite.

Patrician Llorach-1.jpg
Patrician Llorach-3.jpg
Patrician Llorach-6.jpg
Patrician Llorach-7.jpg
Patrician Llorach-8.jpg

Hope you like it!

Jordi

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow. I hope it feels as good in the hand as it looks. If so, he'll never put it down. Well done, VERY well done. I just love the way the ebonite "flows" into the black nib holder (right word choice?). The line is perfect.

magpens

Inexpressibly B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L !!!!!!!!!

Congratulations !!!!

Thanks for showing !!

Pierre---

Great pen Jordi!
Would you share about making the feed and housing? It would be quite hard for me to start from the nib only...

PFMan

Great pen Jordi!
Would you share about making the feed and housing? It would be quite hard for me to start from the nib only...

Hello Pierre,

unfortunately I dont have the pen in my hands anymore so I can not take pictures of the feeder. But what I can tell you is what I made.

The owner has one Patrician so I could copy the feeder and make one similar than the original. Back in the days the feeders were 'easy' to make from a ebonite bar and make the groovees for the ink.

it is a friction nib, so it does not have housing. you have to drill a hole and press the nib and the feeder inside.

Hope i made it clear... šŸ˜…

Jordi

Ironwood

That's a beautiful pen Jordi. I admire the skills it took to make it.
I am not familiar with the Waterman brand pens, will have to do some googling to check them out.

duncsuss

it is a friction nib, so it does not have housing. you have to drill a hole and press the nib and the feeder inside.
I have been thinking about this for a long time and would like to try it - but two things always made me pause:

1. Do you drill a straight hole, or was it tapered?

2. How do you know the size to drill the hole? For example, (diameter of the feed) + (thickness of nib)? Maybe 2 x thickness of nib? Minus a "friction facter"?

I know I should just try it and experiment until it works, but suggestions would reduce the guesswork :)

Thanks!

PFMan

Beautiful work! I'm very familiar with the real thing, and this has all the important design elements. You just need one of the emblems!
patrician_onyx_set_9.jpg
Hi @peytonstreet,

I know that I need the emblem.. it is when I could find one. I searched everywhere without luck.

I still trying to find one..

thanks!

Jordi

PFMan

I have been thinking about this for a long time and would like to try it - but two things always made me pause:

1. Do you drill a straight hole, or was it tapered?

2. How do you know the size to drill the hole? For example, (diameter of the feed) + (thickness of nib)? Maybe 2 x thickness of nib? Minus a "friction facter"?

I know I should just try it and experiment until it works, but suggestions would reduce the guesswork :)

Thanks!
Hi @duncsuss,

1. Do you drill a straight hole, or was it tapered? In this particular model is straight, and the rest I did were also straight. And the ones I made with this system always were straight.

I normaly start with the diameter of the feeder and then you can just increment 0,1 mm until it sets firm (in case you dont have the original to check the diameter). Other way can be when you work with ebonite is just warm it up to insert the nib and the feeder and press.

Hope I helped you with my answers.

Jordi

Top Bottom