Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made from a 5/8" triple twist rod of copper, brass and nickel silver Mokume Gane. I really enjoy working with this material. It is fun to watch it take shape. I still marvel at watching the patina form..included a picture after just machining but prior to polishing, prepping and patina application. Thought I would try to make a fountain pen with a more classic appearance with rounded finial/ends. Sports a #6 fine Bock Nib. Had fun making it.:)
Kind Regards, Doc:)

Attachments

• Mokume Custom  Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    Mokume Custom Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Mokume Custom  Fountain Pen.jpg
    Mokume Custom Fountain Pen.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 654
  • Mokume Custom  Fountain Pen_4.jpg
    Mokume Custom Fountain Pen_4.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 488
  • Mokume Custom  Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    Mokume Custom Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 416
  • Mokume Custom  Fountain Pen_5.jpg
    Mokume Custom Fountain Pen_5.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 522
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks amazing! I have been seeing a lot of makers (of various crafts) using this material and been have been curious of it myself. I just recently got into working with some damascuss, which I have to say is a huge reward when finished. I am mostly a resin and wood guy though. It brings me a lot of joy to see the grain and pattern come out in the material, and the ease of cutting and finishing makes it much less time consuming. I believe that is why I prefer these materials so much more.

sfhipchick

Absolutely exquisite!!! It crossed my mind that mokume gane would make gorgeous pens, so it's fantastic to see it done! Outstanding workmanship!

My husband and I have mokume gane engagement & wedding rings (blended platinum/sterling silver) which we cherish. They never lose their unique, one-of-a-kind beauty and couldn't think of a finer choice for our rings.)

WAY TO GO on that incredible pen. It's all that and a bag of chips. :)

Pete275

Absolutely Beautiful as usual Doc! Front page worthy! I too would love to see a tutorial on working with this material.

Wayne

Last edited:

magpens

Beautiful pen, Doc !!!!

What is the process for adding the patina? . Can you describe briefly, please.

OZturner

Outstandingly Gorgeous, Triple Twist Mokume Gain Fountain Pen Doc.
Superb Machining and Precise Alignment of Cap to Body.
Beautiful, Classic Profile, with the Double Closed Ends, Magnificent Proportions, Maintaining a Beautiful Visual Balance.
The Finish and Patina you Achieved is Incredible.
I thought that the Double Twist that you had previously Created was Outstanding, but this Triple Twist is from Another World.
Your Copper, Brass and Nickel Silver is an Outstanding Combination, in particular when treated with your Finishing Patina.
I am afraid that so far I have concentrated on the Visual Aspects of the Pen, and Failed to mention, the Beautifully Constructed Thread, and the Terrific Section.
Your Choices of Clip, and Nib, Just wrap up the Complete Package.
I trust my Friend, that you will Excuse me, but I cannot think of a more fitting conclusion than.
Congratulations on your Craftsmanship. :good::good::good:
Brian.

Last edited:

OLIVE WOOD

That looks fantastic. Great work

Made from a 5/8" triple twist rod of copper, brass and nickel silver Mokume Gane. I really enjoy working with this material. It is fun to watch it take shape. I still marvel at watching the patina form..included a picture after just machining but prior to polishing, prepping and patina application. Thought I would try to make a fountain pen with a more classic appearance with rounded finial/ends. Sports a #6 fine Bock Nib. Had fun making it.:)

watch_art

Isn't this material sort of brittle? Will the threads last, or wear out over time? I thought it was pretty risky threading this stuff.

wizard

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement!

Isn't this material sort of brittle? Will the threads last, or wear out over time? I thought it was pretty risky threading this stuff.

Shawn, This is made from mokume gane forged from brass, copper and nickel-silver. Solid metal. Not brittle, lasts for centuries, hard on carbide bits used to drill it and on HSS dies used to thread.

wizard

Are there special tools needed to turn this? ITs amazing!

Hi Ray, Thank you very much for the compliment. Not really that special. This material is pretty tough to drill and machine. Mainly metal machining tools:
Little Machine Shop 8.5 X 20" Metal Lathe with DRO
Eccentric Engineering Diamond Tool Holder Holder with Cobalt bits
Cobalt Drill Bits
12 X 0.8 HSS triple start tap and die
Abranet
Felspar Powder
Patina Solution
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Doc:)

If you don't mind, what secret sauce did you use to bring out the patina? I think your end result is stunning.

Hi David,
Thank you for the kind words.
I use Baldwin's Patina Prep which contains Feldspar powder to shear metal surfaces to prevent one metal from smearing over an another adjacent metal layer. Makes the delineation between the three metal surfaces very crisp looking.
For the patina, I use Baldwin's Patina Solution heated in a microwave when my wife isn't looking and with enough time to air out ammonia fumes. The darkness and thus the contrast of the various hues is dependent on the time left in the solution. I hope that helps.
Kind Regards,
Doc:)

Curly

Doc did you mean to say Crobalt bits for the Diamond holder? I have the tool and regular HSS bits and have wanted to get some of the Crobalt.

As always, a very beautiful pen.

Top Bottom