Custom Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

I haven't had much time to turn lately, but here is a simple custom pen to get me going again. A change in the finial look that I normally use, more pointed than rounded; slight taper on the lower barrel. Tried to keep the pen cap from being overly long relative to the overall pen. Pen length 5 7/16" long x 9/16 cap diameter. Used 12mm, 9mm tap/die combo with Bock#5 polished nib. As always, comments and questions are always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

DSC_0053s.jpg

DSC_0056s.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

A nice clean looking pen! I would work on the section a bit to give it some contour and allow the converter to slip further inside and might make the cap a bit wider so the clip ring won't be right at the surface.

Robert111

I like the businesslike appearance of this pen. Personally, given the serious color and shape, I might have chosen a clip in the same theme.

The ends to me are perfect--kinda like the Edison Pearl.

propencity

Thanks all for the good and well taken feedback. I have tried the longer threaded area of the section to provide support to the converter. For whatever reason, even with lube, I tend to crack the (9mm) section when tapping. I have better success doing this when using 14mm/10mm tap/die combo for the Bock#6 size. Maybe I should try 10mm section with the 12mm cap, but this may not leave enough wall thickness on the lower barrel tenon. I'll try this anyway... this is why this custom pen making is fun because of the different variables one can try and learn from. Thanks Again.

propencity

I like the businesslike appearance of this pen. Personally, given the serious color and shape, I might have chosen a clip in the same theme.

Good suggestion Robert. I'm finding very limited selection of clips for custom pens, that have the larger ring and longer and narrow clip. I may not be looking at the right places...any suggestion where I could find these? Kinda like the ones on the Bexley 58
Bexley 58 Collection Fountain Pens

Thanks again,
Mark

watch_art

Very nice looking and I don't think the converter is going anywhere. What holds it in is the friction at the nipple on the feed and the hole of the converter - not the end of the section. If you've ever stuck a converter on a feed without a section, it holds on pretty tight unless the converter is worn. And if the converter is worn it's going to leak ink no matter how snug the section end holds on. A worn converter is thrown away and replaced. It's not like you'll ever be writing without the barrel in place so the converter really doesn't need any support. And with the barrel on it's not getting jarred around in there unless you're throwing your pen around like a football - then it will come loose. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like the material and the overall shape of your pen. :good:
Is it just a trick of the camera or are the cap threads on the body a bit off centre?

propencity

I like the material and the overall shape of your pen. :good:
Is it just a trick of the camera or are the cap threads on the body a bit off centre?

Are you referring to the lower barrel outer threads 3rd pic? Not sure, I think it's the angle of the pic taken. I have struggled with some out-of-round at times (ie. see cap finial in relation to the top of cap and bit on the lower end of cap).

propencity

Very nice looking and I don't think the converter is going anywhere. What holds it in is the friction at the nipple on the feed and the hole of the converter - not the end of the section. If you've ever stuck a converter on a feed without a section, it holds on pretty tight unless the converter is worn. And if the converter is worn it's going to leak ink no matter how snug the section end holds on. A worn converter is thrown away and replaced. It's not like you'll ever be writing without the barrel in place so the converter really doesn't need any support. And with the barrel on it's not getting jarred around in there unless you're throwing your pen around like a football - then it will come loose. :)

Good points Shawn on the section's function in supporting the converter. As long as the converter has a good snug fit on the feed, then the extra length on the section's tenon is not so critical. It (longer section tenon) does allow for shorter holding area and thus allow for a shorter length on the cap.

Robert111

Good suggestion Robert. I'm finding very limited selection of clips for custom pens, that have the larger ring and longer and narrow clip. I may not be looking at the right places...any suggestion where I could find these? Kinda like the ones on the Bexley 58
Bexley 58 Collection Fountain Pens

Thanks again,
Mark

Yep, that clip would be nice on your pen. I don't know of one exactly like it, but the one I used on my most recent, a black ebonite (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-black-ebonite-c-c-fp-103056/), is similar and it's stolen from the PSI Designer Twist BP. I find that PSI has a lot of clips just begging to be stolen :)wink:) from their kits. Woodcraft too. Doing this costs a little--$4 to $8 is my range--but they're worth it to me.

Of course, the usual suspects are Exotic Blanks, Indy-Pen-Dance, and Classic Nib. And more off the beaten track, SilverPenParts.com, and PenMakers.com.

Tortoise

It looks really smooth and silky, like it would be nice to hold. I like the cap finial and the barrel taper. What's the material?

Top Bottom